Telstra increases my data on broadband from 500 gig to unlimited?

Received a letter today from Telstra telling me , I quote " As a thank you for being with us , you can now access your unlimited data at the speeds you currently enjoy , (smiled when I read that ) at no extra cost ./

Have I been living in a techno cocoon or are they sending this letter to all their customers giving them unlimited data ?

3 Likes

With delayed payments from the NBN related to the HFC delays, and following TLS shares and analysts commentary, their near term focus is probably on maintaining customers and cash flow. They increasingly have less and less to differentiate themselves from their competitors as they evolve into yet another NBN RSP where any value added to attract customers will be in bundled services.

The US killed or at least hobbled the best phone system in the world ( AT&T ) many years ago and one just need look at the mess there. Since our governments love anything the US tries for better or worse we are following along, although Telstra was never an ā€˜AT&Tā€™. While Telstra has been high priced and arrogant along the way they did have skill and infrastructure and most of their competitors had support contracts that eventually depended on Telstra to fix the hard things.

4 Likes

They are giving them ā€œunlimited data***ā€ - subject to Telstraā€™s terms and conditions and Telstraā€™s ā€œfair use policyā€ which are both rubbery and slippery enough to allow them to interpret almost anything into the rules ā€¦ ā€˜for the avoidance of doubtā€™ ā€¦ so itā€™s not truly a ā€œgo your hardestā€ unlimited (none of them are as far as I know) ā€¦

This link might contain some relevant information on the changes. Iā€™d suggest they have done their research and determined most people arenā€™t hitting their quota anyway, so its probably costing them close to nothing and they get the marketing benefit as @PhilT pointed out ā€¦

5 Likes

I received one of the letters too @vax2000 but as @draughtrider mentioned, I wasnā€™t hitting my quota and have (cynically) assumed that there is an agenda behind it. Happy to take it nonetheless.

4 Likes

@GeorgePerry Thanks for the answer George . Did it happen to quote in your letter that 2000 gig would be shown on your account until Feb 2018 and then it would convert to unlimited .? Then it says " disregard the 2000 GIG and stream to you hearts content " /

Arghhh Telstra youā€™ve done it again . Marketing , after being involved in same with a national food company , talks many languages . The confusing letter to the consumer is often a very good ploy as it will advise , as it does in this case , to visit your local Telstra Shop , implied that all will be explained to you on doing so . Me Iā€™ll just take the data . Iā€™m happy with my broadband set up and as they say "if itā€™s not broken donā€™t try and fix it " . Naturally for others this may not be so .

2 Likes

@vax2000 Hi Mike, I donā€™t remember the exact wording although it did say something along the lines of being available now but not show on my account until Feb 2018. However, I just logged on to my bigpond account and they have already put ā€œUnltdā€ where it used to say what my cap was. As I said before, never really go close to the cap so the unlimited is nice and Iā€™ll take it.

3 Likes

@GeorgePerry As they say George " Never look a gift horse in the mouth "

3 Likes

This was in the news a couple of weeks back. Telstra brought in new plans and abolished the old plans to keep up with the demand of people wanting to stream TV shows and movies in HD from services like Netflix, so everyone who was on the old plans instantly got upgraded to the new plans, which seem to be a bit cheaper too, but I havenā€™t had my first bill for the new one yet. We were on the 1.5tb plan before and with 6 people in the house all wanting to watch Netflix, we had to force the service to stream at SD instead of HD because it was eating our data allowance way too fast. Since weā€™ve been on the new unlimited plan weā€™ve gone back to HD. Goodness knows how many TB worth of data weā€™re using now, itā€™s no longer displayed in our online account pages. Fair use policy hasnā€™t been enforced on us yet. I donā€™t see how they can have fair use clauses in an unlimited plan to tell you the truth because the moment they inflict it on you then your planā€™s no longer an unlimited one.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on that Vince . Well put . Well explained .

1 Like

Lucky buggerā€¦ I just get bills from them :wink:

1 Like

Telstra has sent a text. Sent an email,a letter & called us too. They are very anxious I know about it.
This is the second or third time theyā€™ve doubled or vastly increased the quota. Never the less, we rarely go over 100Gb. Our usage is drifting up slowly, but not close to needing unlimited.
Telstra, I donā€™t care.
Of course Telstra knows most people donā€™t need it. Itā€™s just a marketing ploy for when you are doing a comparison with competitors. Telstraā€™s plans are full of ā€˜valueā€™ most people neither need or want to use.

2 Likes

I got the same advice.At the same time my existing plan, due for renewal, increased by $20 per month. However, they no longer charge me $6 monthly for my TBOX

2 Likes

Just before Christmas i got mine increased as well from 100 to 200 Gigā€¦The previous year it also happened as well with no extra chargeā€¦Full credit for them on doing that i would be lucky to even chalk up 100,but in saying that i can call them at anytime and get the usage reduced.With NBN just around the corner for me i will probably be happy to stay on it for a while give it a good test out and see if i actually will need the extra.I probably wonā€™t

2 Likes

I received one of these letters too. Itā€™s about time we get value for money, we aussieā€™s have been ripped off for internet access (compared to other countries) for years. Iā€™ll take the unlimited data thanks, perhaps increased competition has brought this on.
Iā€™m happy with my Telstra cable broadband, I donā€™t want or need the NBN.

2 Likes

Hear , hear to that .

1 Like

The Hon Malcolm Turnbull decreed that is an insufficient argument to avoid joining the NBN, and subsequent Communications Ministers, the current being one Mitch Fifield, have reinforced that determination .

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. The history from Star Trekā€¦

1 Like

I wouldā€™ve been, if they ever upgraded the upload speed.
Telstra pretty much let HFC rot in the ground for years.
People had faster HFC speeds in NZ 15 years ago, without even changing to DOCSIS 3.1.

Paying extra for a ā€œspeedboostā€ was a slap in the faceā€¦ 2mb upload isnā€™t a ā€œspeedboostā€.

Iā€™m now with Aussie Broadband, and itā€™s nice actually being able to do a proper back up to the cloud.

1 Like