Tell us your experience with HBF health fund

Do you have something to say about HBF? Tell us your good experiences, bad experiences or otherwise and help inform the CHOICE Community.

Read our HBF health insurance review

1 Like

Having been with HBF for close to 40 years I was recently shocked after having two dental treatments to discover that because I did not use their “preferred provider” I was given $882 less in rebate than someone paying same premium who used their “preferred provider” dentist. When I made a complaint I was told that all insurance funds do it, and that I was sent information about the new “provider system” in 2005! Was more than upset as those who are choosing own dentists are subsidizing the larger rebates to others who have “complied” and changed their dentists. I was told it was not an illegal practice, but is it ethical? The same dollar amount per item should be given to all members on the same level of cover regardless who they see. To top off, HBF are not taking on any more “preferred providers” in the Perth region, so this obviously is going to further affect the dental industry.

1 Like

HBF cuts to hospital policies are now in place:

1 Like

In January the HBF raised it’s premium and added some more claimable services. Than it annaounced that in April it will raise the premium again.
However their policy since the raised premium is inaccessible to people who are using assistive technology due to vision loss. The claim form is also inaccessible.
Between 25 ND 27 march I exchanged 17 email and 2 telephone calls with HBF. I requested the new policy and claim form to be sent in accessible format. I received their response: we respond in 2 days time, when I confirmed receiving HBF’s response, the same happened: “we respond to you in 2 days time”, and so it goes. I am wondering if it is a common occurance.

I cannot understand health insurance companies constantly price goes up less service provided. How is it ethical. Next week price hike again.

The world of business demands each make a profit or at least not a loss. When the private hospitals, surgeons, and their entire ecosystems raise prices who do you expect to take a loss?

With no hands raised to otherwise subsidise the private system, fund prices rise accordingly.

2 Likes

Fund prices are raised according the international prices.
Yes, in addition to the fact that if the payment set as direct debit, the HBF does what it wants without telling / asking.
HBF discriminates against people with visual disability: it does not provide a Claim form in accsssible and editable format.
The Government is not regulating it either. The Government does not provide information in accessible format either.
Visual disability has a well known restricting symptom: people can not read on White background! Though I raised this issue many times with different government departments, there is still NO Adjustment.
So what can you expect from private health insurances?