Tea : What brand/s do you buy?

I also buy Madura Premium black tea. It is promoted as having less caffeine, which means I can drink more of it without reactions to caffeine. And I like the taste.

3 Likes

I drink Madura Black Premium also . It seems to be the only "Caffeinated " tea that does not aggravate my Gord symptoms . Naturally Iā€™m still careful of how many cups I consume . Gord and caffeine donā€™t mix very well .

2 Likes

Nerada Lemon & Ginger - lemongrass, ginger, lemon myrtle. It says on the pack: ā€œNo pesticides, fungicides or artificial chemical fertilisers have been used during their cultivation.ā€

3 Likes

Thanks for the input . The story of how Nerada tea became established in Australia is very interesting . Make a great doco or movie .

3 Likes

This may not have anything to do with store bought tea bags but has to do with having a cup of tea at a cafe.i couldnā€™t not believe they were selling turmeric tea i looked at that on the menu and passed it right away. I have tasted that before and cant stand it. supposedly all the health benefits around some of these health foods.i doubt i was going to have turmeric in a cup of tea give me black tea or other herbal teas any day.

4 Likes

I like nerada organics chai it has a nice infusion of herbs and it can be drunk with or without milk.

3 Likes

Coffee in the morning, Twinings Australian afternoon tea if I get a chance at home.
Got tea at a Cafe recently: nice pot big enough for 2 cups and plenty of milk, but the water was just lukewarm. Itā€™s Cappucino next time!
Back to Cappucino!

2 Likes

I mostly drink leaf tea and try to drink at least 50% decaf. I brew a large pot, remove the leaves and heat up a cup as needed.

My current brew is 50% English Breakfast decaf (Yorkshire TeaCakes/online from UK), 50% Twinings Earl Grey or Nerada black. For a couple of years I drank brewed rooibos exclusively but then became sensitive to it. I need to switch around my drinks to avoid that.

Occasionally I have a tea bag for varietyā€“Twinings Earl Grey/Darjeeling/Orange Pekoe/Assam Bold; Rooibos, Natureā€™s Cuppa chai, Organic India Tulsi Masala Chai, Lemon (herbal). Or I brew a pot of chai (my own spice blend + decaf leaves).

For travel, I take tea bags with me: Dilmah decaf (which is by far the best but I can only buy online or at some IGAs while travelling) and Earl Grey decaf (from iHerb).

(I also drink decaf espresso at home, though not as often as tea.)

3 Likes

@passerbye123 @Gaby @jen Thanks for adding your posts . Jen Iā€™m getting into the Decaf scene as Iā€™ve been diagnosed with a reflux disorder and caffeine aggravates it . :tired_face: Any input regarding Decaf teas would be appreciated .

2 Likes

@vax2000 I hear you! I get reflux from caffeine too.

Disclaimer: I prefer ā€œIndianā€ tea leaves to ā€œChineseā€, so YMMV if your taste buds differ.

Of the decaf leaves Iā€™ve tried, the English Breakfast decaf from Teacakes of Yorkshire (UK) is the best/most like regular tea. Their Earl Grey decaf is weird (very astringent) and their Own Brand was just not as full-bodied as the EB. I have tried all of the loose leaf decaf available from Australian sellers (all online) and didnā€™t find any I really liked. As mentioned above, I often mix my decaf tea half and half with a non-decaf, both for variety and because the decaf is expensive.

There are quite a few decent-tasting decaf tea bags including Twinings, but most are chemically decaffeinated and I prefer not to drink them very often (e.g. Liptons, Twinings EB). The exception is Dilmah (which uses a natural methodā€“water + CO2) which I discovered in New Zealand and looked for when I came home. Itā€™s sold in some IGAs, and online (but postage is very high!) The Dilmah bags are nice and I use them when Iā€™m not brewing a pot.

iHerb.com has a good range of decaf tea bags, though sometimes theyā€™re no cheaper than buying here, especially for the supermarket brands. But it does open up your options a bit.

NB. Rooibos is naturally caffeine-free, but still has tannins and many regular tea drinkers find they like it. You can also have it with milk.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Jen . I was about to order some CO2 Decaf from Tea life but will head down to my IGA and see if they have the Dilmah . Iā€™m drinking Liptons Decaf at the moment but they use a chemical process to remove the caffeine . Thanks again .

Mick

3 Likes

Very good hot drink for reflux, and no chemicals: Bay Leaves. Must infuse covered so that the essential oil does not evaporate.

3 Likes

Thanks Gaby will give it a try.

2 Likes

Managed to get some Dilmah Decaf at my IGA in Altona . They advised me they always stock it . Thanks again Jen was not really happy drinking the decaf that used the chemical decaffing process .

3 Likes

Glad to hear it Mick! I have to travel 2.5 hours to my closest IGA :slight_smile:

After all that, Iā€™m interested to know whether you like the tea!

And thanks for mentioning Tea Lifeā€“I hadnā€™t come across them before, and have just ordered their decaf leaves to try.

3 Likes

As I write this Jen am trying my first cup of Dilmah Decaf . My favourite tea is Madura Black Premium Blend . It is as good as that . Much better flavour than the other decafs I have tried . /

Let me know how the tea from Tea Life tastes when your order arrives . Thanks again for putting me onto the Dilmah . I really thought all the popular tea brands used the chemical decaf method . Itā€™s great that Dilmah use the CO2 method . I paid $ 5.50 for 50 bags . Very reasonable . Cheaper than the Madura .

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great @vax2000. Iā€™m glad you like it since as you say, the price is reasonable and Dilmah use CO2 method. Win-win :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll let you know my verdict on the Tea Life.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a vicious cycle :slight_smile: I donā€™t know if Esomeprazole is the answer, but it works for me ā€¦

2 Likes

@draughtrider Iā€™m taking 40 mg a day of it . Usually does the trick . I take it under the Nexium brand but Iā€™m sure there would be a few generics floating around .

2 Likes

Dilmah is our standard, whether English Breakfast or the extra strength black. Usually in bags as we all have different preferences and routines. Leaf tea and a pot with guests or more than two.

Usually mix it up with a selection of herbal (lemon and ginger), green and selected specialty black teas.

Our-
Rule one - quality pure water, gently filtered by nature and all it leaves on the roof and gutters.
Rule two - water temperature varies, some electric kettles do not get hot enough.
Rule three - always have more for another cup, one is not enough.
Straight (black) rules, with lemon or honey to suit.

If we have only tainted tap water the stronger and cheaper the tea the better. Pot bags or loose.

2 Likes