Sudden crack in Westinghouse induction cooktop

We got less than 4 years out of our Westinghouse induction cooktop before it cracked. It seems to have started from a chip that came out of the front edge two days ago, but we don’t remember anything being dropped or banged against the cooktop – ever.

Our last cooktop was a Westinghouse ceramic. It had wonky temperature controls from the start. One of the elements just stopped working at some point and we replaced it with the induction.

We shouldn’t have to buy a new cooktop every few years. Are these things really so fragile that they can break all by themselves? I’m tempted to avoid anything with a glass top, now, but it would be good to know if some brands are more durable than others. Recommendations, anyone?

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @allenn!

You might not need to buy a new cooktop. The glass top is often quite a simple part, just the glass pane without embedded or attached electronics. If so, it might be easy and relatively inexpensive to replace.

At least, that’s what we found when the glass top on our Bosch induction cooktop cracked (after the heavy stainless steel rangehood filter was dropped on it - by fumblefingers me :flushed:).

The part wasn’t expensive, and - pleasant surprise - our house insurance covered the full cost of the replacement anyway, including the technician callout.

So - I suggest you find out whether the same applies to Westinghouse, and also ask your insurance company whether your insurance covers this sort of thing.

As for why it cracked: glass can sometimes crack seemingly at random. Toughened glass in shower screens, table tops, etc in particular is known to just suddenly shatter for no apparent reason. We had that happen with a glass-topped outdoor table, and I know someone whose shower screen door did the same thing, fortunately not while someone was showering.

Glass cooktops are very heat-resistant, but brittle. A knock can break them, and a little chip on the edge could be enough to generate a crack as the glass heats and cools in use. It is not difficult to chip those exposed edges.

If I were buying a new induction cooktop now, I think I’d look for one that has a metal frame to protect the edge of the glass.

We’ve been happy with our Bosch cooktop, in spite of the cracked top. Bosch makes things to be repairable. Parts are available for years, and not expensive when repair does become necessary. Other than that - which was my fault - our cooktop has been very reliable.

5 Likes

Hi @allenn, welcome to the community.

We inherited a Westinghouse ceramic cooktop when we moved, an these tops are similar to the induction models.

Cleaning can also trigger sudden cracks. Westinghouse user guides state:

Sharp objects and abrasive cleaning materials will damage the appliance. Clean with water and washing up liquid.

Anything abrasive can cause unseen surface micro-scratches which with differential heating of the tempered glass can turn a mirco-scratch into a large crack. We are extremely careful how we clean and use our cooktop hoping we never scratch it or damage the surface.

As @isopeda has indicated, glass tops are easily replaced. They can be sourced direct from Westinghouse or from some other appliance spare parts sellers.

4 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

Unfortunately, our insurance excess is $800, which is slightly more than the cost of the new glass ($605) plus the service call ($165). Our electrician has advised us to buy a new one.

1 Like

We have both buildings and content insurance, and when our cooktop got broken I originally thought that the excess would apply to the cost of replacing the glass, but then I got this advice from NRMA Insurance: “Your cooktop is classed as a building item and under our standard building insurance policy, we do cover for unintentional broken glass”. The excess didn’t apply, and our buildings insurance covered the entire cost.

You might find that something similar applies with your insurance?

3 Likes