Subscription 'commitment'

I recently made a subscription for a pet treat box from Waggly. It was advertised as a 6 month subscription.
After I took it up and used for 2 months, I didn’t want to continue and requested to cancel. But Waggly informs me it is a 6 month commitment and I cannot cancel. This was in their terms and conditions page, which unfortunately I didn’t read.
However I am of the opinion that this is something that should be explicitly mentioned at the checkout page.
The current checkout page pic is attached.

Keen to know the community’s thoughts.

Well, your 6 month subscription is explicitly stated in the screen shot in what you have posted.

So enjoy the pet treats for the time you have signed up for, and when the subscription ends, indicate you don’t want to sign up for another period.

But make sure you tell the company before the current period ends, or you may find yourself automatically signed up for another 6 months. If you have enabled a direct debit.

1 Like

This is the terms and conditions from their website:

The 6 months appears to be the contractual period you have signed up to with the subscription you have purchased.

3 Likes

I guess I assumed that there wouldn’t be a commitment. Similar to how many other stores operate like Amazon, etc. My bad for not reading the terms and conditions.

But this brings up the question of whether this is a good/ethical practice. There could be genuine reasons for cancelling subscriptions. I remember ADT had a 3-year subscription service which proved to be very difficult to cancel, especially when there were no proper services provided. (this was from reviews, and not a personal experience.

2 Likes

It is good/ethical. Subscriptions or contract periods can offer early cancellations, likewise they can choose not to offer early cancellations (which can be conditional and/or with penalties). A consumers needs to understand subscription conditions before taking a subscription up.

As indicated above, there can be if T&Cs allow early cancellation or termination of a period contract.

Waggly don’t allow cancellations in their T&Cs.

However, if the subscription has a larger value, say $100(s) per month rather than $58, if one experienced say unforeseen financial hardship or the subscriber passes away, one may be able to mount a case for a business to use their discretion to cancel a subscription or period contract. It would be up to the business to determine whether they will use their discretion.

Being $58, it is unlikely that financial hardship case could be mounted as the amount is relative low and has been outlined upfront. At the time of taking out the subscription, if there was financial hardship one wouldn’t/shouldn’t have subscribed.

Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do except wait until the 6 months are up and not to subscribe again. If it is automatic extension of the subscription at 6 months, I would contact them to ensure automatic extension doesn’t occur. You are in your rights to do this.

1 Like