Store Vouchers

If a store offers a voucher, in my case for $10, is it legally required to spell out what items if any cannot be bought with that voucher?

Recently I received such a voucher from David Jones. I went ahead and used it to buy a lamb roll. Steep at $18 but I thought “hey, it’s only $8 out of pocket”. And on the day I had nothing else to buy.

To my surprise, when it came to paying, the server declined the voucher claiming she rents space from David Jones and “is not David Jones”.

I complained to her, looked at the voucher, which did not state where it cannot be used and had no mention of T&Cs.

My polite complaint, got nowhere, so I paid $18 and wolf down the lamb “roll”, more like a “2 bite snack” in 20 seconds flat.

My complaints up the line got an outrageous response: “you should treat a voucher like a gift card and be aware of the T&Cs”. I was told that 3x by the same person, who through gritted teeth confessed the 2 page email I received with the voucher made no mention of T&Cs, nor carried a list on the voucher making clear where it can and cannot be used.