SpinSweeper Misleading? TV AD

Can anything be done about misleading? ads on TV. This one for the spin-sweeper shows some poor unfortunate try to sweep up a mess using the largest ineffective millet style broom that you could ever find! No wonder he/she cannot clean up the mess, what ever happened to the dustpan and brush!
Further on they show a vacuum cleaner with the shortest lead known to mankind, clearing up a mess on a carpet, when the spin sweeper is designed for hard floors.

But again the piece de resistance with all of these offers is that you get 2 for the price of one, but you never seem to be able to buy just one at a reduced price! So are you really paying for 2 anyway?
PeterH

3 Likes

Buy one, get one free - but read the fine print - you have to pay extra postage & handling for the ā€œfreeā€ one. As people have remarked - $15 P&H, yet the postage was say $5.

These ads follow a formula - show the most complicated method with a user with a short fuse (sped up & in B&W) - then show a slow uncluttered solution using only sure-fire techniques - then either a Risk Free Trial for only $$ or Get One Free - Plus thereā€™s more!

If you go to the website they offer 50% off (you have to take 2 for the single price) but then charge double P&H. If you decide to return your item under the Risk Free Trial, you have to pay return P&H which is about what it costs to keep it. My husband loves watching these Infomercials and TV ads - heā€™s convinced, but he doesnā€™t cook or clean.

Perhaps Choice could do an article on these TV marketers. I know they have noted some items bought that way - when attempting to return for refund, they were offered an attractive deal to keep them, eg exercise equipment.

4 Likes

a) delete them from the channel list, but he will probably put them back.

b) let him buy a few things on the proviso he masters the task without them prior to purchase, and then with his new product, he demonstrates how to use it through at least 4 cooking/cleaning cycles. You could get a good product (unlikely) or at least a helping hand. Write the cost off to maid service. Also reference the thread about storing ā€˜valuableā€™ products. :slight_smile:

1 Like

" BUT THERE"S MORE !!! Phone in the next 5 minutes and we will give the first 20 callers a set of GINSU steak knives " :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. my thoughts too. I was going to make a comment about it, I am so glad you did. Absolutely shame full ad.

2 Likes

Hi, This is very timely as I am just writing about this topic - wondering if anyone ever bought one of these products and your experiences - good or bad?

4 Likes

Yesā€¦I was stupid enough to buy one as I am finding cleaning my floors an issue and I liked the idea of being able to sweep close to skirting boards as seen in the ad. The product, I feel, is cheap and nasty and I certainly cannot get it to work like the advertisement portrays. Another thing is that GST is now added to the cost and nothing is said about that on the TV advertisement. I feel extremely foolish to be sucked into this deal but it is said that one learns from experience.

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t believe the turbo brush advertisement! ( Same company)
It shows them cleaning the toilet with it, then a bit later, the stovetop!
:flushed::flushed: No thanks!

2 Likes

Watching this ad, I got the impression that it only sweeps on the sides and not in the middle - so effectively like trying to pick up dirt by sliding a dustpan forward (without the brush)! I watched it a few times to try to study it more closely, but their fast-paced editing actually prevents the ad from showing whether it really works (or doesnā€™t!). I assume they have done this to hide the truth.