Spam, Junk Mail, Email Scams, Phishing, etc issues

Success at last!!

Well done!
cheers Natalie :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, how absolutely marvellous!

I simply love this idea and the email you sent them.

No wonder you did not receive anything further.

Love it, and will use it in future.
Thanks ever so much for posting :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Is anyone else copping spam that I havenā€™t been subjected to previously? Iā€™m getting 3-4 a day, all offering free trials of coffee makers, deep fryers, motor vehicles, vacuum cleaners and heaven knows what else (too many to remember!) Even airlines. In many cases they even say you get to keep the products free. All include big name brands like Sunbeam, Dyson, Virgin, and all include a TRIAL NOW button. Trouble is, they donā€™t go straight through to my Junk Email.

Yes. many more spam emails getting through ISP and personal filters.

Many for rewards cards, Gift cards, etc.

Iā€™ve received (actually the mail server spam filter caught it, but I thought Iā€™d have a look) a phishing email apparently from salesinfo@ramint.gov.au (the domain is correct for the mint) including correct links to the shop, correct address etc, but it comes with a 355kB .doc file and the subject is:

Thank you for your order (ES59951130) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Now I certainly did not place an order with the mint, so know that it is dodgy, and checking the full header the reverse DNS lookup failed, and the IP address is from Vietnam.

I use http://www.ip-adress.com/ to check the source of dodgy characters online.

See here for what the Aust Mint has to say about these phishing emails:
https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/latest-news-with-desc.aspx?NewsID=237

3 Likes

Phishing offers usually provide a link for responding. Even if they seem genuine right-clicking on this link will show you where your response is really going.

2 Likes

BitcoinTrader vwwcu5m.70S1SD5D4ZA@blor.auditsteer.com
You can become the next millionaire!

-Canadian-Pharmacy- info5440@mail.com

Donals craig news@info.metrodeal.com
if you are organized and honest,you can make three hundred dollars($350) a week,
as a business assistant.
Reply for more details
Please include your name .
Thanks
for more information please contact us.
To unsubscribe Reply with ā€œunsubscribeā€.

Military Flashlight 52fbihm.3KPHDGKX78J@falaj.geomentra.com
1200 Lumens Flashlight - 75% Off Discount, Plus Free Shipping

Garcinia Plus Partner gb2d6b55@gb2d6b55woix.me.gb2d6b55w
This message is from a trusted sender.
Having trouble viewing this e-mail?
ā€“Try Garcinia Plus+ for 30 Days. Claim Your Free Trial Bottle!ā€“

:heart:Dont miss the Love Of Your Life!:heart::heart:Spamā€‹:heavy_check_mark:FindāžœBrideāžœ kkla9mp.OQ4WYDUOV0@bagane.madneskail.compmIf you cannot see the images below,CLICK HERE
==Dreams come true at Find-bride.com! ==

UltraFX10 Miracle 2wsjofe.3DZQEL4VDN@bagane.madneskail.com
Trump?s Hair-Loss Strategy:
Could it work for you

BMW winnings h604n6g.9SNB43RXYDZ@salyg.decalteentr.com
You have been selected to win a BMW!

3Things-women-CRAVE-(that-you-canā€™t-give-them)Spam-Erect-on-Demand- team-a@del4tech.com
3 Simple Steps To Get Rid Of ED.

Congratulations! team-a@del4tech.com
*** name *** - Important - Notice Of Winnings ā€¦

Maria news@info.metrodeal.com Hello,
Do you remember me ?
I m Maria,25 yo
We changed messages last year on facebook.
Are you still single man?
Can we meet ?
I have some new photos for you,I m on-line now.
Waiting for your reply
Kisses
Maria

Heart Attack Defense 6oxnlke4@6oxnlke4rr8o.me.6oxnlke4rTo:wendy_kurka@yahoo.com25 Oct. at 9:24 am
4 Signs Of a Heart Attack (No 3 Might Surprise You)ā€¦Are You At Risk?

Mrs Mary Williams info@estmt.interpac.com.my24 Oct. at 12:24 pmUnited Bank International, United Heights Plot 87 Ajose Adeogun Street,Nairobi
Kenya REP, PAYMENT NOTIFICATION:

Dear Beneficiary,

Andrew Simmonds azi.hosseini@dndhealthcare.com
Dear customer
Thank
you for your order from October 23, 2017 with the invoice no.
2017-MS980917-0001. Please find attached your invoice in PDF format.

John A Fisk azi.hosseini@dndhealthcare.comTo:wendy_kurka@yahoo.com24 Oct. at 7:30 am
View your infringement notice for more information
Infringement No: AA464773-001-3394
Date of issue: 23/10/2017
Amount due: $ 214.50 AUD

and thereā€™s more
I put them in SPAM file, then afer a few weeks delete them.
Is this the best method?
Iā€™ve also begun new email account with gmail. Gradually transferring over.

1 Like

You say hacked? It doesnā€™t sound like you lost control of your account, or did you?

OR rather, did you just start receiving lots of phishing/junk mail? This was possibly because you or someone clicked on or responded to click-bait in a browser, or to an earlier spam.

NEVER respond to any phishing/junk mail in any way. If you do, your address will be targeted as a ā€˜live accountā€™ and the deluge of spam will go on, and on, and on, and onā€¦

Just delete them immediately. (Use to delete permanently in one go.)

2 Likes

I have been sending my spam to spam but will delete immediately from now on. Thanks for your advice. How come Yahoo, my email service doesnā€™t filter them out. Do I need to change my password or do something more? I have MacAfee Security which I pay for annually so I thought I had protection.

1 Like

Yahoo is renowned for being the worst of the major free mail services for spam. I donā€™t think this is new, but worth a read: https://www.mailguard.com.au/blog/yahoo-spam-continues-to-bombard-australian-users/

Here is a link to Yahooā€™s tips for avoiding spam: https://au.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN3402.html

If possible, and I know itā€™s easier to suggest than actually do, change your email to a more secure service such as https://www.google.com/gmail/about/, or https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook-com/?cb=v8ho, or another free service.

1 Like

The Yahoo spam hit is because all their, Yahooā€™s, account details for every user were stolen (all 3 billion).

The easiest answer is to just send them to junk and even the move to gmail will not absolutely rid them, @Wend, of spam. Addresses get stolen all the time and eventually their gmail address will be added to spammers lists. They may enjoy a honeymoon period as they start to use the new account but it may be very short.

Sending junk mail to spam folders actually has a use, it allows the mail provider to adjust their filters. If using Outlook (Office program not the live mail) it allows them to update the filters they send out as updates to the program. The period for action to happen however can be lengthy.

Also Yahoo is no longer itā€™s own company, it is now owned by Verizon and I would hope they are more proactive about security and spam than Yahoo seemed to have been.

3 Likes

I received an email purporting to be from the Australian office of Square who are a multi-national payment processing company claiming to have deposited $1,287.59 into my CBA account ending in 196ā€?ā€ The ā€œ?ā€ looks like a smudge on the screen but when the cursor is moved over it, an arrow appears.
I have never seen this before and it is in addition to 5 hot links. The email sender claims to be ā€œadriene02125222@vtx.ch.ā€ vtx is a technology company based in Switzerland.
I provided my standard reply for scam emails involving a subtle suggestion as to what the scammer can go and do but, as in most cases, it was undeliverable.
I have forwarded it to Square for their investigation.
Watch out for this or similar scams claiming money has been deposited into an account.

8 Likes

Thank you for the warning and hopefully Square will be able to take action.

But just as a warning, you should not reply to scam emails. In the off chance it is deliverable you will add yourself to their database of active email accounts. This will lead to further scam emails landing in your inbox, sometimes this takes a little time to happen. You may also be interpreted by the mail server of the business that you might reply to as being a spam bot and get yourself blacklisted on a number of Spam protection sites and find you have access denied to sites that use the ā€œspam policeā€ to filter their traffic. The number of sites that do filtering is increasing.

For some spam blacklist providers see:

Barracuda (BRBL)
http://www.barracudacentral.org/rbl

Spamhaus
https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Spamcop
https://www.spamcop.net/

Invaluement
https://www.invaluement.com/

SURBL
http://www.surbl.org/

MultiRBL
http://multirbl.valli.org/

To use any of these services yourself they do have a cost but the relative peace of blocked spam may be entirely worth the outlay.

7 Likes

It is also worth reporting to:

Agree with @grahroll as this lets scammers know that the email address is active, resulting in more scam being send to that email. It is best to ignore/delete spam emails and install a junk/scam maii filter as @grahroll indicated above.

10 Likes

Just delete the original email and block the sender or domain as appropriate. If you are offered a link to reply to, right-click on it to see where your response is really going.

3 Likes
  1. Forward spam and scam emails to Spam support (report@submit.spam.acma.gov.au)

2. If you have anti-spam software tell it that the email is spam (and tell it to block further emails from the particular sender or even from the whole domain name).

3. Delete, delete. (as in ā€œhardā€ delete so that it is not even in your Bin/discard folder)

4 Likes

I have been inundated with InstaGirls email Spam. I have also read in the Choice Community forum advice on spam etc But I am looking for a better solution.

Here is a statement of the problem from another site but there are many more like it:

I have a spam folder that is constantly filled with these notices of girls who live ?? miles from me etc. I have repeatedly used their unsubscribe button and they keep saying Iā€™m unsubscribed (which I never subscribed to start with) but they keep coming. Under titles like Bestdategirls, casual date girls, date girlstonight,and instagirls plus others. Iā€™ve never been to a site about dating or anything that would put me on their list. Iā€™ve explained to them in messages that keep coming back to me in mailer demon that Iā€™m a 71 year old grandmother whoā€™s certainly not interested in dating women and I donā€™t want my grandchildren stumbling onto this smut. How do you get them to stop?

Spam strategies on the Choice site include: donā€™t open the emails; donā€™t click the unsubscribe link; create rules to send the email to a spam folder; etc

I have reported the problem to iiNet and to Mac and they suggesting forwarding to their abuse email line but no solution is forthcoming. Is it possible for Choice to take stronger action because this spam source seems to be relentless? Does Choice have clout in this area or effective consumer strategies to permanently resolve the problem?

7 Likes

It canā€™t be stressed enough how important these two points are - while a well configured email client may expose the use to less risk simply by opening an email, one doesnā€™t always have that level of control, especially with web clients - the base risk being potential address validation. The unsubscribe link will almost certainly validate your address at a bare minimum, and who knows that else from there. Validated email addresses and far more useful and valuable than unvalidated ā€¦

I donā€™t imagine a service provider like iiNet et al has anti-spam high on their radar - doing it properly and managing the exceptions, false positives, etc is not their core business and takes substantial effort - as evidenced by the amount that is getting through. Companies spend a lot of time, a lot of money (and often both) managing anti-spam systems.

For some time now Iā€™ve preferred to keep my email and ISP separate, and found gmail to be fairly reasonable at keeping spam at bay. There are various client side solutions, some integrated with AV and some standalone, but these imply the user has client software - Iā€™ve not seen much in the way of effective anti-spam for web clients over the years. One also needs to consider whether the solution might cause more of a problem or place additional limitations or restrictions.

An interesting summary of some aspects of anti-spam techniques for users is here:

ā€¦ though not a complete answer sadly ā€¦

Iā€™m not sure what CHOICE could do in this case. Australia has the Spam Act 2003 but Iā€™d suggest the originators of most spam are well outside Australian legal jurisdiction.

8 Likes

Also report the spam to ACMA (Australian Communications & Media Authority) either anonymously or you can identify yourself at:

https://complaint.acma.gov.au/Infiniti/Produce/wizard/61696dd2-fe43-4dfe-a07f-6cb3fa5ef4c0/?ComplaintType=EMAIL&Portal=1&prepared=true&logGuid=0ca176b0-b26e-4ae4-b3e6-4d39ec37c73c

Use an email client if you donā€™t already as you can create the rule to send the spam to Junk mail. As an example of a rule you could put anything containing the line Instagirl in the header to be sent to the junk folder.

Thunderbird email client is free to have and use as an example of one if you need it.

The following is a Rule creation from outlook which shows some of the settings you can make:

Annotation%202019-10-29%20125326

Filter Rule setup box from Thunderbird (example only)

:

Notice you can select what you want the email client to look for, who it was sent to and who it was fromā€¦in the Outlook case it was Google Reviews & for Thunderbird I started with Insta, and what you want to do with the email. I always suggest the junk/spam folder as at least you can look through them before you delete them in case any are mis-filed.

As to clout and CHOICE, the problem isnā€™t that it isnā€™t against the law already (it is illegal to send spam). The problem is that the Spammers are very often outside of anyoneā€™s real control. They may reside anywhere in the World, so beyond the authorities catching who they can when they can the responsibility to reduce your Spam is up to you by reporting the spam, using rules in your clients to remove spam, not replying to spam or trying to unsubscribe from it, and turning off preview of any emails you receive. Live, GMail and some others do have reasonable levels of spam control but it wonā€™t catch everything as @draughtrider notes above.

Use disposable email addresses when possible when signing up to sites or surveys etc (a different one for every site etc) as often it is hacked site/survey/busniess data that leads to you ending up on a spammers list. Then if an email arrives that is spam from a disposable address you will know from which site the data was leaked or sold from (some sites do sell this data). You can if needed then remove that address so you no longer receive emails through it and/or you can advise the site they have lost control of their data.

9 Likes

Peter these spams generally start when a user has clicked on something on a web page. This may be inadvertant, or it may be on some bait advertising.

To hammer the point home; NEVER RESPOND. Once your email address has been proven to be a live one because you replied with unsubscribe; you address is worth money to those hawkers. They will use your address for any mailings they have and sell your details to multiple other hawkers, who will on-sell to others, who will on-sell ad nauseum. This is probably why you are getting the spam from so many different sources.

What client/package are you using to access your email? Perhaps there are additional solutions to the ones @draughtrider and @grahroll suggested. Alternatively, you can pick an email client with assistance that will ā€˜can the spamā€™ so it does not appear in your in-box.

7 Likes