Spam, Junk Mail, Email Scams, Phishing, etc issues

No. It only files reports. It is a completely external website.

Email clients, Thunderbird, for one, has a capability to use an external “authority” to filter junk. It is in account setting->junk settings for each email account set up. SpamAssasin is the default when enabled. If the source is listed on SpamAssasin it is presumed to be spam. You can set options to delete or just move it into a junk folder of your choosing.

garryleicester, you can have a gmail (aka googlemail) account if you have an internet connection. Just go to gmail.com and sign up. Popular alternatives are yahoo.com, outlook.com, and there are others.

Thanks, will look into it:-)

Never click unsubscribe. You confirm your email address.

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me how to stop junk emails? I right click on them, go to BLOCK SENDER but they keep coming back. Thanks

1 Like

hi @garryleicester, lots of good information above, but as you are a novice on the computer, I agree with @battunga3. The easiest thing you can do to start with is to look at the bottom of the email for “unsubscribe” and click on this then follow the instructions. It possible your email address has been on sold to advertisers which is why you are receiving so much spam. Before you do this please read the section on spam email. Again if this is to technical, google something like “how to spot a scam email” as clicking on links from unknown senders can have some pretty bad consequences. Best of luck getting rid of the rubbish!

1 Like

@garryleicester – I’d actually recommend against this advice:

unless it’s definitely coming from a reputable company that has you on their mailing list (and not a forgery), rather than a scammy spammer. Any link in a spam email could be dangerous, and if you do try to “unsubscribe” from someone without scruples they’re just as likely to add you to a list of confirmed email addresses which they can then sell on to other spammers.

3 Likes

@viveka I think I covered that.

2 Likes

@garryleicester I should have added that if, after looking, you still don’t feel confident you can spot a scam email then take @viveka advice and don’t click on unsubscribe. If fact, don’t click on any links.
Cheers.

1 Like

Just an update to this post now it’s February 2017. Another 5 months on and of those companies I sent the form mails too, not one has either directly or through a spam agency sent me one spam email.

2 Likes

Can you tell me what you did? I was so overwhelmed by the advice I received. Thanks

1 Like

@garryleicester, think this is the post you are looking for.

2 Likes

Love it!! I will give it a go. Could you send a copy of your letter? I contacted one woman that was advertising astrological services so looked up her website and told her I wasn’t interested in her services and could she remove me from her address book; and she did. Thanks for your reply. Regards Garry

My recommendations are:

• Use a disposable address generator - I use Trashmail. These allow you to enter a valid, but temporary, email address, which can be used to provide to sites that require you to respond to an email in order to register or for (supposedly) one-off items like petitions. After a specified period, the address is deactivated.

• Use your email client’s spam filter. Learn how to use it and train it - it’ll get better over time at recognising and deleting junk.

• Report all Australian-sourced spam to the ACMA by forwarding it, without modification, to report@submit.spam.acma.gov.au

• Be very wary of “unsubscribe” links. Unless you can confirm without question that the message is genuinely from a reputable organisation (and they generally don’t spam you anyway), just add them to your junk senders’ list.

Together, those should eliminate 95% or more of spam.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the trouble of replying. How do I get Trashmail?

Hi Garry, below is the particular email I sent to Reader’s Digest based on the form letter I posted about earlier. To date is the first thing to work in over a decade with them. I’ve found them to be one of the worst serial offenders for junk mail and in fact it was because of them I first started thinking about the idea. You do have to ensure though that you send this type of email to a legitimate business email address of the offending company - not through a link or web enquiry form, an actual email address. You’ll normally find these in the “Contact us” sections of their websites. I also suggest this as a last course of action, as I personally prefer to make the first email to those addresses a request to remove me from their mailing list (as mentioned in the first sentence of the letter below). This gives companies the benefit of the doubt that they may not be aware of the activities of marketing companies they employ, and a chance to rectify that before going hard ball on them lol. It won’t work for all companies and possibly not for all people, I’m just saying it worked for me :).

Good morning.
I have on many occasions unsubscribed from your advertising emails yet you still continue to send them. As it seems you find it imperative that I, (full name) of (email address where spam received), read these emails I shall do this service for you at the cost to Reader’s Digest of $AU100.00 per email received. If you do not wish to avail yourselves of my email reading service then do not send any further emails to me.
From 10:00am on the 16th August 2016 any emails Reader’s Digest, your affiliates, overseas entities, agents, mailing list companies or email advertising companies send to me at (email address) shall be taken as you entering into a contract with me, (your name), to read said emails and Reader’s Digest shall be charged accordingly at the rate of $AU100.00 per email received by me.
The payment terms of the reading service I provide are that your account must be paid in full each month, on the anniversary of the beginning of this contract, the start date being the 16th August 2016. Any late payments shall be charged interest at the rate of 30% per annum, compounding. If you wish to not take up this contract do not send any emails to (email address) and you shall not incur any costs for my reading service. If however I receive any emails from Reader’s Digest, your affiliates, overseas entities, agents, mailing list companies or email advertising companies, that shall be taken as Reader’s Digest’s acceptance of the conditions and associated costs of my service, and Reader’s Digest’s wish to enter into the contract for my reading services. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
Regards,
(your name & email address)

5 Likes

Thank you. I love it, love it!. I shall use it as a guide to compose my own. Nice to have such wonderful people around. Regards Garry

1 Like

TrashMail is a Firefox plugin, but it may well be available for other browsers. :slight_smile:

Try Blur from Abine https://dnt.abine.com/

2 Likes