Social Enterprises is just greenwashing?

Continuing the discussion from Ethical Car Insurance Experience in Huddle or Bendigo bank or Allianz:

I don’t think it’s mutually exclusive.

See Social enterprise - Wikipedia and B Corporation (certification) - Wikipedia What do you think of those terms? Greenwashing?

1 Like

I think Community Co may be an example of a Social Enterprise, and I have bought some of their products on the basis of their lower price and claim to fund local community groups. However, on reading their site Give Back | Community Co they do this through the IGA store’s Community Chest, which includes other products. Given that I have purchased these through a non-IGA, where does that leave my “donation”?

I also note that the products I bought were all Product of Belgium or Greece (mashed potato, Mediterranean vegetables, spanakopita) but Packed in Australia. To me that appears to be Green washing.

4 Likes

My comment was general, but driven by my perception of the drivers and motives of a publicly listed (and in my view, shareholder driven) entity. In that case, Allianz.

I’d like to think that in the broader sense there could be real social enterprise (etc) where the beneficiaries, stakeholders, resultant salary earners and general community could all benefit in a balanced, reasonable and appropriate manner/level - and one should never give up hope that these entities might exist and survive, but my perception is that they don’t and won’t.

That’s just my view/perception - if someone is selling me something, there always seems to be an angle. Even in the seemingly rare case that it starts in with genuine, true and demonstrable/provable altruism, it never seems to continue or end in the same way …

3 Likes

I don’t know if it qualifies as altruism but I once worked with a small business owner who I would describe as a real mensch. He treated everybody well; customers, staff, suppliers and all. He ensured that I had all that I needed to do my job and paid the account immediately without quibble.

He did get something back of course. He paid above award wages and was generally good to his people, so they did their best for him. I always gave him top service. This is a rational way to run a business in my view, those who think they can skin everybody are deceiving themselves because they will never get one jot more than the minimum from anybody.

There is a limit however to this reciprocity, it becomes much harder to maintain in large organisations; we have relationships with people not structures. The business was a finalist in the small business of the year awards and the principal was a wealthy man.

3 Likes

A rellie was a brilliant business man and became quite wealthy. By mid-last century he ‘built’ what could be described as 6 stores that could have been a precursor to the KMart concept.

In their time they were large. He was a mover and shaker in business and political circles. He took good care of all of his employees and rewarded his managers for exemplary work. He was also a major philanthropist and 60 years later there are still plaques in the region on things he and his wife donated to this and that. When he died his son took over. The son focused purely on maximising profit to sell it at a premium and sell it he did. Philanthropy? Not on his watch unless he needed a tax deduction. The employees got done over. @draughtrider’s point fit perfectly.

What was the ‘end case’?

I don’t understand, what is this ‘end case’? Why does it need quotes, is it really something else? What?

‘Was’ and past tense references suggest it was an historical situation. What happened in the ensuing years? eg the ‘end case’ of the business or is it still going the same way?

Based on context I guess he was asking what happened when the owner moved on, either when owner died and passing to children or sold off. Did the next owner provide the same service?

1 Like

I don’t know as I moved away and have no more contact with them. When I last was there they had been doing business that way for thirty years or more. I cannot say if the principal is still wealthy or even still alive.