Smashed Avo On Toast

An article regarding freezing avocados for year round supply.

1 Like

An article regarding helping to stop cut avocados turning brown.

An article regarding ripening avocadoes in an air fryer.

Woollies has this incredible gadget on sale this week.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/669538/wiltshire-eat-smart-4-in-1-avocado-tool

If you buy one, you will probably be asking yourself how you ever got by with just simply using a knife to cut the avo and to remove the seed, a spoon to scoop the flesh out, and a fork to mash it.

Whatever will they invent next?

You did ask!
64% on average Aussie ingredients.
Seasonally adjusted? They don’t elaborate. :rofl:

P.S.
Woolies suggests the manufacturers website to for the answers to any product questions.

While Woolies says 68% Aussie Ingredients the Qld suppliers website says very little to suggest it is other than all Australian product. Who does one believe?

2 Likes

Qld researchers create world first development in avocado plant production.

I am amazed by how cheap the new season Hass avocados are at Coles.

Last week. they were 4 for $5. This week they are a mere $1 each.

Premium toast can cost more than the avocado on it.

1 Like

Whilst at our local Coles yesterday, I saw a pack of I’m Perfect avocados marked down to half price.

I picked the bag up and I noticed that most of them were black and grossly over ripe, and I handed it to a staff member who was nearby with a recommendation that it should be in the bin

Just Coles rigidly sticking with the pack dates even if the product is unfit for sale.

On the other hand, I still have half a pack of Kiwifruit that I bought on 02.06.2021 and I am still waiting for them to ripen.

Expensive, but that was 3 months ago.

Picked up a bag of good sized avos locally last week. 8 for $5.00. Being bagged and a local F&V they are not fingered to black mush. If more than one ripens each day they keep in the fridge for a few days once cut.

Holding out for the rush at the end of the local Strawberry season, but prices are still $2.50 a punnet. The picking and packaging labour, which may be at a premium this season locally can put a dampener on the smashed strawberries on toast hit, aka homemade Strawberry jam.

Around here (Ipswich/Brisbane) Stawberries were sometimes $0.80 a 250g punnet but mostly $1 to $2 a punnet. Costco currently selling 1.2 kg of them at $6.97.

3 x 0.5kg punnets for $5.00 at the Glass House Puma fruit shop. The berries vary in size and colour (Value packs). Not smashed Avocado. Just smashed berries.

Strawberries are naturally low in pectin, best levels when freshly picked and just ripe.

I found this very useful.

Whether a little help from added pectin is necessary, it will vary. A trial small batch was how the CWA certified home cook made hers.

Not really about avocados, though.