Smart TVs: Apps/Function Issues

Hi @longinthetooth,

Thanks for the follow up, we’re happy to assist.

Good question. A PVR has more functionality than a set-top box or standard Blu-ray player, and all the PVRs tested (and to my knowledge, all standard PVRs on the market?) have TV tuning ability. We’ll take this on as feedback, perhaps we can make this clearer. The purpose of the device is to view and record TV, and if it is not fit for that purpose, you are protected by law for any current device. As for issues in the future, we provide some guidance on the reasonable expected lifetime of appliances.

In the review, you’ll see that we score units on their Electronic Program Guide (EPG) functionality (This is how the device handles TV channels) and we also indicate which models have Freeview compatibility, which may be of interest for a number of reasons.

When you view the details of each device, you’ll notice whether the PVR allows you to transfer files by viewing the ’ Recordings can be copied for viewing elsewhere’ field. This means you can transfer the files and watch it on any device. However, some devices, especially Freeview compatible ones, will apply Digital Rights Management in an effort to protect copyright, so be aware of that in the future. We understand consumers are often frustrated with copyright issues, and in the past CHOICE campaigned on these issues. I understand you’re still frustrated with your PVR and we’re attempting to assist you with information you can use. You might also wish to take up your complaint with the device manufacturer.

To save you some time, I’ve also looked for info on your current device. There’s no clear indication online of whether you can copy to a USB easily on your existing device, it might require intervention from a tech expert to avoid the rigmarole of slowly copying to disc. Most TVs have multiple inputs, another alternative would be to retain your original device and utilise multiple inputs to access your content.

It’s correct this info is contained in the test, and we’re sorry this wasn’t clear enough for you. We explain this as follows, “Programs can be recorded directly to an external hard drive. However due to copyright protection the PVR may format the drive in such a way as you can only use it on that PVR and not connect it to any other device.”

We’ve attempted to cover devices that are readily available on the market, but we can’t always include every single device available. If there are other PVR recorders you’d like to see tested, please let me know and I’ll be sure to pass it on to the product testing team for inclusion in future tests.

We recommend a number of devices at different price points. The more expensive machines also have Blu-ray players, so it’s up to each individual to decide whether this is worth the cost or whether it is worthwhile to purchase a PVR at all, considering the personal needs you have expressed. I hope that the info we’ve provided helps with that decision, please let me know if you have follow up questions.

5 Likes