Smart meter upgrade – next bill has very high estimated usage

My previous interval meter was upgraded to a ‘smart’ meter; all part of the move to net metering and remote metering.
The next bill was higher than usual.
The power usage on the bill, from the start of the billing period up to the date of the upgrade, was an ‘Estimate’ (rather than ‘Actual’). This estimated usage was much higher than usual.
Why was the power usage estimated? Because the previous meter meter hadn’t been read when it was removed. And it will never be read, so my actual usage will never be known. I can never be billed for the exact amount of power used.
Why was the usage estimate so high? Good question. The electricity retailer (or distributor) chose to use an estimate which was much higher than my normal usage; hardly ‘based on previous usage’ as quoted by the retailer. So, I was being overcharged.
(If you’re nerdy enough, you can download the (enormous) database of your last 2 years’ usage and then filter and analyse the spreadsheet; see your previous usage patterns and see the pattern of estimated usage data inserted into the gap where there was no reading.)
Many calls to the Customer Service department failed to resolve the issue and reduce the bill. The next step was to contact the Energy Ombudsman and eventually the issue was resolved. A rebate was made and an apology was received for failing to read the meter and for poor customer service. But why should I have to go to these lengths?
How many people have been overcharged this way? … where the old meter wasn’t read before being upgraded, and the next bill showed ‘estimated’ usage and was higher than usual.
Has this happened to you?

3 Likes

I’m pleased you had a good outcome. But as you say, why should you have to go to these lengths to protect your legal rights.
I have had both my gas and water meters replaced and fortunately I was at home on both occasions, as I am retired. I took a photo of both of the meters as they were lying on the ground, so I was able to check the readings when the new bills came in. I was lucky and both were correct. Working people wouldn’t have this luxury though.

3 Likes

I’m due for a smart meter upgrade next month. I read my meter every Sunday, entering the figures into a spreadsheet. Installed 1.5 kwatt system of solar panels 6 years ago, the spreadsheet has given me an accurate usage and solar gross out put. The new net meter will be another check on net solar exports and usage. Gives me a backup if any billing or meter read problems.