Smart Light recommendations?

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend a couple of smart lights for my house?
I may potentially use a couple of extra in the house, but really it is only for 2 rooms at the moment.
I would prefer natural lighting (adjustable); colours would be a bonus.

I don’t have google home, alexa , etc.I have an iphone, but I don’t know what type of phone I will get next.

Cheers,
Anton

p.s. I have seen the phillips hue smart light. Lighting seems good (as in more of a natual light), but it seems pricier (especially for 2 bulbs). Would the running cost of the hub be high?

2 Likes

I have an app on my iPhone called GRID Connect which I needed to get for smart globes I got from Bunnings. It works with Arlec, Delta, and Verve brands. Seems to work quite well, though I don’t use it much. I tend to put the lamp on my preferred setting and leave it there, turning the light off and on with the power switch.

3 Likes

Thanks meltam. I’ll check out those brand you mentioned. I have only looked at a few so far.
The ones that have caught my eye phillips hue smart light and the LIFX A19/A60.

The LIFX A19/A60 seems like an easy set-up, but does anyone know if the light is very natural (or just not too glarey) as I don’t have a lamp shade in my rooms? I read one review that said the light wasn’t that natural, whereas the phillips hue smart light excelled in this area.

3 Likes

Correction. *Thanks Tamás :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a number of “smart” lights. I bought them for the purpose of being able to turn them on from my iPhone especially at night, My cat loves to get under my feet and he’s black and white. Mostly black. The Philips ones would probably suit me better, there is only the hub that is network connected, whereas with LIFX each light has its own mini hub within it. Also, they (LIFX) and other wifi accessories require 2.4gHz and you run short of connections PDQ. I did get that sorted though. I like mine, I have one in the kitchen that has no shade so it can be as bright as I need for food prep, or turned down for less glare. I bought a mix of colour and day/night globes. I also have a white one and dislike it but I’ll find a good spot for it. Mine are mini which are about the same size as regular globes. The others are really big.

3 Likes

Thanks Sue. Do you know if the philips hub uses much power?

1 Like

Sorry, Anton, I have no clue.

1 Like

No worries Sue. Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

These products will have a nominal power rating in watts or amps on the product mains power electrical label. It may also be evident from an online manual or specification. Just note that the actual product in store can differ from online content. As useful a guide as we might have for most products.

Comment:
What any of these types of device actually consume is likely less and may vary slightly between users. The only way to know reliably is to measure power use with a time recording calibrated meter. In that instance from a lab test such as Choice might perform it is only a single representative sample of the product, and the use/load a single set of conditions. IE indicative.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark. I didn’t think of checking the manual online for the power usage, which is a good idea.
And good point, power usage would change depend on the user (and maybe the number of bulbs connected too).

I have 8 LIFX “mini” lights, One is still in its container, three are used occasionally and four are in regular use. I’m assuming that the power used is reduced as you turn them down (dimming)… I hope this is the case, but I have managed to keep my electric bills at a similar level to the years before I got them despite increases in electricity costs. Bedroom lamp is only ever at about 20%, likewise the one near the couch. Kitchen is on full brightness when prepping food and cooking but only needs 50% the rest o the time, and so on.

1 Like

Yeah, dimming would also reduce it, and possibly having ‘mini’ lights too might be a way to save on power usage. Thanks :slight_smile: