Should I buy a Dyson?

I found with Dyson stick vacs, I was unable to a) afford and b) acutally use. a friend has one and loves it and she got it out for me to try and I discovered that for myself, a vac with most of its weight at the top was just dreadful… I could not manipulate it easily at all. It would have been impossible to lift it to do the curtains (yes, I vac the curtains in between washes). If you have arthritis joints (hands and shoulders) a vac stick design like that is just deadly.

Back to barrel vacs with HEPA filters and bags, for me!

2 Likes

The wise one in the home is a Dyson fan. We have 2 stick vacs. The other is a Hoover. The Dyson wins for performance and battery life. The Hoover has a floor stand. The Dyson has a wall mount which saves on floor space. The power head on the Dyson is ok but not anywhere as good as that on the Wertheim that was our regular vacuum. Of course the Dyson with a smaller head, weight near to the hand grip and no hose has a considerably lighter feel.

Observation is the stick vacs are a convenience thing. Just grab it and that dusty corner, dry spill, wood dust from drilling another picture hook etc are all gone. Are they practical for a larger home and all jobs?

I’m a bend down on knee with dust pan and brush on hard floors for cleaning up one offs. I’m not into carpet, but we still have some short pile loose carpets in the bedrooms. The industrial wet and dry remains the most effective for larger jobs. They have greater capacity before one needs to empty. Also available with cordless lithium battery technology.

3 Likes