Should I buy a Dyson?

Your not the only one…batteries life can be the weakest link…

5 Likes

Ok a bit more research and they are a 6 cell (battery) battery pack using Li-ion 18650 3.7 volt 2500 mAh ones. Panasonic or Samsung seem the best ones and sell for about $8.90 per battery. The control board needs to be unsoldered from the 6 old batteries and the new ones to be soldered back in place. So if you have a skilled repair man or friend you could replace your battery pack for around $60 (not sure that $85 is a big hit to the pocket in that case).

Just as an alternative you could replace the 2500 mAh ones with the more “powerful” 3000 mAh 18650 ones giving you a bit better run time but also a bit higher cost.

5 Likes

We review the Dyson V11 vacuum, find out how it performs:

4 Likes

My one question here is did Matthew drive his family nuts putting dirt on the carpet just to make noise seeing if he could vacuum it up again? :thinking: :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m really intrigued by this.
I currently have a hand-me-down, cannibalised Dyson in the vicinity of 12 years old. It does an ok job all things considered, but its getting tired, and thanks to the squishing and taping together of various pieces to make a whole vacuum (different hose, handle and head from the body) its missing any attachments so it can’t do a lot of what I want it to do (dust, clean crevices in my couch, vacuum the car etc).
Thing is, I have all hard floors, no carpet, with a hair bombing dog or two. I’m not sure I want a stick vac - I do almost the whole house from one power point at the moment. But the Choice reviews don’t seem to include hard floors in the non-stick vacuum reviews. So, DO I need a stick vacuum? Do I need another Dyson? Would I be just as satisfied (or more) with a cheaper corded or stick vacuum?

4 Likes

Definite No, from me. I don’t like bagless, theres no easy way to empty them without having a degree of dust spread. I also dont like this latest fashion of having the motor for the stick vacs as part of the handle. The manufacturers are giving zero consideration to those of us with arthritis in hands and shoulders. I can’t even lift one. Also… motor lower down gives more weight where its needed closer to the floor.

I’m in the market for a new vac, and I think I am going to go Wertheim again. Had one before with a turbo head and god knows why I thought I needed something else. Nothing I have had since then has come close in terms of efficiency and picking up the cat hair. Its bag could also be closed after you removed it so there was zero dust scatter.

But I will never buy a Dyson.

5 Likes

I almost always empty my old upright Dyson, and the two robots, Roomba and Neato, outside the house so any escaping dust is not a problem. No wasted bags so saving money and resources.

The robots can have the dust removed indoors by the Dyson if needs be.

2 Likes

Have had a Dyson DC 15 upright cleaner which has run out of suck.
I would say it really ‘sucks’ but it won’t!
Dyson won’t repair these models anymore because from many reports I’ve read now they ‘sucked’ when we bought it - hindsight is great isn’t it ? It was very expensive 9 + years ago.
Was expecting it to last longer since we thought they were quality.

Dyson are now only trading on a name and brand

Recommendations for what we should replace it with? Want an upright bag less not a stick rechargeable.
What’s best brand in your opinion?

4 Likes

Hi @Consuma, welcome to the community.

We have a Shark Navigator Self-Cleaning Brushroll Pet Upright Vacuum Cleaner (model 2102100ZU62ANZ).

It cleans quite well, but, we find it heavy to handle and challenging to use on stairs. Due to its height, even when laid down it won’t reach under sofas, most beds or other low furniture. To clean under these, you need to use a nozzle tool.

It is our first upright we bought. We had it replaced after about 12 months as the high speed cleaning drum stopped rotating continuously…it would stop and start. The replacement is now 12 months old and going well.

We are used to a drum (Miele) vacuum and find this easier to use. Not sure if we would buy another upright.

In our business we use a Pulman semi-bagless backpack vacuum, and it is brilliant. Simple and you don’t have the cleaning unit to pull/push around as it is on your back. It is semi-bagless as it can be used without bags, but the manufacturer suggests using one to prolong it’s life. Instead of using disposable paper bags, we use a old fabric 5kg rice bag which fits perfectly and does a similar job. This bag is reusable.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to an existing topic which germane to your question.

If you are subscribed, you can have a look at Choice’s vacuum cleaner review done in January 2022 for information on which upright bagless vacuums are recommended.

1 Like

Dyson sticks are great for wooden floors, not carpet says my v6 Animal Dyson of many years,replaced battery twice,new filter and all good.

2 Likes

Have 2 Dyson v7 Animal, one with only the standard cone filter and other with replaceable cone and head filters. I never leave them on permanent recharge as it isn’t necessary when you have two.
Use the one with double filters for the dirty work and save the other for just clean vacuuming.
I also have a wet & dry Ghibli vacuum cleaner over 32 years old that is the go to for major cleaning jobs. Never has failed me.
Unfortunately neither of these vacuum cleaners are available in stores or online today, now they’re just pushing things out that have at most a 3yr usable life span. Would recommend sticking with what you know works.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting observation.

Is it that the manufacturers admit the products they produce are incapable of fully meeting our daily needs?
Although their marketing emphasises just how good their product model ‘XYZ’ is. The perfect solution to our needs. Enticing enough to race out and purchase one today, or be quick and get two for the price of one on line, offer ends at midnight! It’s also a sure way to discard the guilt of having purchased a dud previously, but hey, it was cheap enough and only meant to last the warranty. Justification of the planned obsolescence, but not the extreme consumption and waste.

Or
Is it that the manufacturers would have us believe our needs have changed?
For ever more yesterdays product it will never be a satisfying purchase. Our care in following the Choice recommendation, trying the product in store and haggling for a deal counts for nought. Our despair at buying a premium product to last a lifetime dashed on the rocks of a bad decision. To not wait for a better product to come along.

Dyson plays games with our minds more than many of their competitors. Any one can design a cleaner to capture dirt dust and fluff that you can see. Even a basic $100 wet and dry can do it. To capture the fine invisible dusts one needs a HEPA rated filter element or two.

The decision for those buying a Dyson stick vac.
Is a more competitively priced ordinary design stick model from Hoover is good enough for your needs?
or
Does the significantly greater cost of a Dyson delivers sufficient improvement in pick up or saving in time?

Considering we have a Dyson V8 Animal, not the latest model purchased on a discount when it was superseded and a similar vintage Hoover stick - Choice might need to have the final say.

4 Likes

Marketing, marketing, marketing, it’s the name of the game.
With the consumer it’s more about value for money. Have friend who’s battery died on Dyson Animal 9 so she hunted around for a new Dyson and went for a Dyson something, something, cost over $1500. asked her why she thought that was the best solution. Tells me it’s programmable and does all these wonderful things.
Few months later asked how it was going. “It’s ok I suppose, l haven’t used most of the special features but it does have longer vacuuming time, 30 mins compared to only 15 mins”.
Well I’m not sure that’s a good reason to spend that much money.
I’m so old school, like my appliances to last forever, which most of them do.

2 Likes

I’ve had two barrel Dysons, Both lasted 12 years before they burnt out, which I was told was very good. I have an old Electrolux which is around 50 or more years old which still functions well. I replaced my 2nd Dyson with a commercial vacuum cleaner, a Pullman, after my son told me he had used one in his shop for 20 plus years and was now using it in his home and it is still working well. The Pullman was $375 including delivery. I bought it on line. Unlike the Dyson, it is very quiet so if I feel like a quick vacuum through in the late evening I can do so without disturbing my neighbours. It has a long cord and long sucking pipe so I only need to plug into one power point and it reaches every room in the house.

5 Likes

I had a Dyson Stick vacumn cleaner for about 4 years before it died, fortunately I had taken the extended warranty option & was given a refund of around $650.00, what I’d paid for it, by then the latest model was a whopping $1200.00 & wasn’t about to pay that sort of money for any vacumn cleaner. I bought an LG over 3 years ago & I think in many ways it’s better than the Dyson.
1: It comes with 2 batteries
2: It is much easier to empty than the Dyson
3. It runs for a longer time
4. It’s not necessary to hold the “on” button whilst using it

Altogether in my opinion it’s much better value for money & does a very good job. The price of the Dyson is just ridiculous, they are trading on their name!

4 Likes

My V6 Dyson still works a treat on our wooden floors and tiles,purchased many yrs back,maybe 8 or more.
The Dyson support very helpful, price then was $599 about, happy with this price,$1299 not in our budget .

2 Likes

I had a dyson for about 5 years but then it packed up. In my opion the Dyson support was not good. At the time I bought my Dyson it was around $600.00 to replace it was going to cost over a $1,000.00 a ridiculous amount of money for a vacumn cleaner. I replaced mine with an LG and I couldn’t be happier. It has a longer battery life when you are using it, it has 2 batteries so you can change it monthly or whatever suits & it’s much easier to empty. Overall I think it’s better than the Dyson, I’d never buy one again.

4 Likes

That’s great you’re dyson is still working, long may it continue to do so, but if & when it gives up, consider the LG

1 Like

Thanks,but my loyalty is with Dyson as they are very good.