Shopping cart or shopping Trolley

This is not about shopping per se, but about the reference, when on line shopping, when making a purchase, to the shopping cart.

As long as I can remember whenever shopping I usually used a trolley or a basket and the trolley was never referred to as a cart.

My only memories of a cart were a billycart and a dunny cart and maybe some others but there was never a shopping cart.

I am not sure if the shopping “trolley” reference is uniquely Australian but it would be nice to have trolley instead of cart on our on line shopping sites particularly the Australian sites, as little by little our unique Australian heritage and culture slips away or in some instances, simply hijacked.

5 Likes

You are having a complaint about American English usage compared to Australian English usage and yet you use long dead Latin? :smiley:

2 Likes

We referred to shopping carts as the small carts used to help transport food from the store to the home, like this one:

Our parents and grandparents used the term for these ones.

A shopping trolley was something used within the store.

4 Likes

Thank you for pointing that out. Probably the only Latin that I remember from school.
I can see that understand the difference as you have made a reference to American English.

2 Likes

Yes and they are still very popular with people who live within walking distance of their local store.

4 Likes

Not a point of argument, there are some language variations between different parts of the nation. Preservation is not assured. Only the future of Scots names and TLA’s (EG McDonalds and KFC).

In Brisbane as best I can remember the 50’s and 60’s, and how we call things today.
‘Shopping trolley’, both the 4 wheeled chromed steel thing one pushed around the supermarket and the 2 wheeled bag one pulled along behind to take the groceries home, because few of us had cars.

My mum not so old, gran and her sisters (who were all born before WW1) each had a 2 wheeled pull behind ‘shopping trolley’.

Search for ‘railway Porters trolley’ on the net and one will return a variety of 2 and 4 wheeled implements dating back centuries. Aka luggage carts or trucks.

There are plenty of other examples of naming differences local and international. David Astle fans only.

P.S.
Can I complain about the abuse by today’s illiterate of the word ‘hack’. It’s an insult to horses. :wink:

3 Likes

Your tiercel’s too long at hack , Sir. He’s no eyass.

3 Likes

And apologies to Mr. Edd.

From a discussion on the word :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ( What Is the Meaning of “Hack?” (dailywritingtips.com))

"The term hack, which entered general usage with a new, nontechnological sense of “solution” or “work-around,” as in the phrase “life hack,” in the previous decade has undergone an impressive divergence in meanings since it entered the English lexicon hundreds of years ago. However, as with the synonym kludge (also spelled kluge), the etymological origin of the word is disputed.

One school of thought is that hack simply derives from an Old High German word that refers to chopping. (A short, sharp cough is also called a hack.) From that meaning, it derived the figurative sense of crudely or ruthlessly working on something and then of simply toiling; by extension, the word was applied to being able or unable to manage or tolerate something: The now-rare expression “You just can’t hack it” expressed this idea.

In the era of modern technology, two new senses arose: One who writes computer programs as a hobby is a hacker and produces hacks, but the label also came to apply to one who illegally accesses a computer system. Hack also came to mean “creative solution to a computer problem,” so that, depending on context, a hacker may be benign or malicious.

But the technological sense is also said to have derived ultimately from the unrelated word hackney. The term stems from the place name Hackney, which now refers to a borough of London but in medieval times identified a marshy area; the etymology of the name is likely “Haca’s (or Haka’s) island,” referring to an area of solid ground surrounded by marshlands that was associated with a person by that name."

It’s an insult to that marshland :smile:

1 Like

One source suggested 111 meanings and uses. :flushed:
Perhaps the nobler is the most interesting, RK per @syncretic? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like