Shonkys 2020 Winners Announced

The product or more specifically the importer, supplier might be worth a separate topic or heading? Notably if the business involved or brand are well known or have a range of similar doubtful products. $75 would purchase a large quality esky, insulated back pack etc all of which would be expected to last many years.

Is the ‘green’ lunch box assured of 100% recycling, by the seller perhaps?

2 Likes

At least it is not as ridiculous as this one.

1 Like

For that it ought to be stainless steel throughout and become a generational artifact.

3 Likes

Hi Heres the response i got from the manufacturer,. They’re talking about the bag because the insulation bag that I also bought also broke (zip fell apart). The photos i showed them are of the hinges split. To make matters worse I did buy a replacement lid since ive sunk so much money in and the hinges are split on this one too!

Heres the manufacturers response-

Unfortunately the photos support the previous response of wear and tear. Under Australian Consumer Law the manufacturers obligations are:

• manufacturing warranty for bags only needs to cover a period of up to 3 months as it has moving parts that are used regularly (the zip). This warranty needs to cover things such as: stitching being missed or pulled apart, holes or anything that is from not being put together correctly. We called them recently to find out the obligations of the brands to ensure we were following their guidelines. If a bag comes back at 1 month after purchase with cuts (from cutlery or scissors, etc) or holes from rubbing on the cement they don’t request the brand provide a replacement, they do suggest (it’s not a requirement) as a good will gesture that the business offer a discount for the customer to purchase a new bag as that is not a manufacturing fault. We recently had a child cut a hole in a bag so we had to call to check.

• Manufacturing warranty for lunchboxes needs to cover a period of up to 12 months. This warranty does not cover wear and tear.

Unfortunately the photos of the bag show wear and the lunchbox reflects the same use, both are way past the manufacturing warranty period. Unfortunately with all brands the parts that are moving daily will not last forever (much longer but not forever), the Go Green however has been designed to be fully recyclable for the parts you need to replace and you can buy replacement parts when required. If you hand wash the lid most people replace them approx. every 2 years, if you dishwasher the lid most people replace them approx. every 10-12 months as they are not dishwasher safe. Replacement parts are available for purchase from us and other stockists if you wish to refresh your Go Green set. The Go Green is designed to last as it’s made from a durable soft plastic, the lunchbox is very durable and outlives most of the brands on the market.

If you would like to call the ACCC to discuss your rights in more details their phone number is 1300 302 502. If you want a more accurate response from them ask them for their email address to send them through the images, this will give you a more accurate response. We usually send them through images to ensure we can give customers the best response and ensure our brands are following the correct guidelines.

1 Like

An interesting take on shonky reporting of the Shonkies.

Media reluctance to name retailer Harvey Norman for winning a Choice magazine ‘shonky’ award. Harvey Norman is one the nation’s top advertisers.

4 Likes

I’d like to nominate Choice for a shonky for this pun dropped into the worst printers article. Absolutely shameful :rofl: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Would you identify the manufacturer/brand so others can be forewarned?

2 Likes

With the Shonkys behind us for another year, we take a look at some Shonkys wins over the years:

4 Likes

Great stuff.

But we can only hope for a parody of John Lennon’s classic hit song “Imagine” actually ever eventuating.

"Imagine no more scams, imagine no more grubs’?

1 Like

Bigger they get more power. Look at Coles recently wanting to close factories laying people out. I might be swaying of course a bit but kinda related to the question of how companies operate. As you say its your choice what you buy not them to choose

I would add something for this coming shonky awards. A product from aldi called sugarless chocolate coated biscuits. Pretty horrible taste i would prefer to either eat normal sugar or have no sugar. The person who invented sugarless biscuits should be locked up.

ifylu omit the coles part the same manufacturer makes these. Except purchase from aldi. I would ban these products. Definitely worth a shonky. In fact go and test them.

1 Like

Just so people are aware, there are many Coles products that are way better than branded products or as good as. I recently bought 1.5kg rolled Oats coles brand for $1.75. That feeds a family for breakfast for nearly a month.

I still buy my Steamroller brand Oats though, even though 1kg is now $5.50 up $1 on last year.

Also Gladwarp has become a joke. You simply cant get it off the roll. Instead we are now using Coles brand for less than half the price except it actually works fine.

But yes Peters Ice Cream form $4.50 to $6.50 and yes we know milk has gone up.

A lot of things I only buy when on “half price” even though I notice some stuff at halprcie is very close to what was full price before covid.