I recently purchased, on line, a cheap cantilever umbrella. Below are my criticisms. Choice does not have reviews of market umbrellas, but they are sorely needed. I consider these to be a dangerous weapon in high winds as well as not being engineered to fulfill their intended purpose.
- The aluminium structure of the umbrella is so weak I can bend it with my own hands, and I am a 78 yr old woman!
- The base itself was bent when trying to lift it up. There was nothing in the advertising or the instructions to say that the base needed to be attached to concrete or decking.
- the instruction page was hard to follow. The images were too small to check properly
- there was no instruction at all showing how to place the umbrella itself onto the cantilever arm.
- Because there was no instruction, the wire was caught three times when trying to attach the umbrella
- the handle to wind up the umbrella falls off frequently. There is nothing to hold it in place.
- because of the flimsy nature of the whole umbrella, it is likely to blow away even if the umbrella is lowered and tied down.
- Since it is located on a balcony overlooking the main street, it is likely to cause damage to other nearby properties in a gale-force wind. I consider any third party damage to be your responsibility following the inadequate nature of this purchase.
- because of its danger to the public it would be irresponsible of me to resell it.