Shaver Shop poor service

Received a Dafni Hair Straightener a few years ago as gift. Looked after it well. Went to use it recently, it exploded, caught on fire and burnt my hand. It came from the Shaver Shop. I sent them photos, they passed me around to a few people and promised to get back to me regarding what they would do. I was concerned it might happen to some one else. Weeks went past and despite leading me on, the Shaver Shop finally came back with ‘out of warranty’, why don’t you go to the manufacturer. So I did. They were amazing, replaced it and are testing it for faults. As for the Shaver Shop - they’ve lost my business for life.

7 Likes

Welcome @consumer13. It seems that you have achieved the result you were after, despite the retailer. Good for you.

4 Likes

Under Australian Consumer Law the retailer, in this case The Shaver Shop, is responsible for being a consumer’s first line of contact for product problems. It is illegal for them to fob you off to the manufacturer and if they do this routinely they could face significant penalties.

However since your product was ‘a few years old’ and depending on the product and its price, it may truly have fallen outside the period where the ACL applies, so without further knowledge the rest is general commentary for next time, if you have one.

Depending on the product and time since purchased, it is possible the retailer improperly fobbed you off to the manufacturer, and that is a problem. A retailer ‘owns’ the warranty as stated, as well as a period where the ACL Consumer Guarantees can be claimed.

While your issue has apparently been resolved by the manufacturer, when a retailer tries to absolve responsibility or fob you off, and you do not accept that under your rights under the ACL there are two distinct ways of communicating with them.

The one most of us start with is ‘informal’. An example of ‘informal’ would be ‘my hair straightener caught on fire’ by phone or email or in person. In the context of your rights under the ACL I call that ‘idle chit chat’ yet many businesses respond favourably to that.

When fobbed off going formal can be a bit of work, but depending on the value, experience, etc many should and do. If unsatisfied after going formal one can use the trail to lodge a formal complaint to your state fair trading and the ACCC.

When businesses do not respond as they should, and the customer is left with an unsatisfactory outcome or experience, going formal starts with a ‘letter of complaint’ (search the forum, there are many links to your rights and how to write a letter of complaint).

That shows a lack of training at best. They should have dealt with your problem or minimally become the middle man in reporting the problem to the manufacturer on your behalf, unless they suggested and you agreed it would be better handled direct.

All that hopefully will assist you if there is a next time, with any product or service.

6 Likes