SEPTEMBER FOOD CHAMPION'S CHALLENGE : Your favourite celebrity chef

image Bork de Bork.

5 Likes

Whilst I really like Justine Schofield’s shows, I won’t be following her suggestion today.

At the end of the final segment on the second episode of Outback Gourmet on SBS TV this afternoon, she was at Humpty Doo Barramundi in the NT when the manager prepared sashimi from a fresh barramundi and they ate it, following which she said that if viewers can get some Humpty Doo Barramundi, then they should try it.

Our local Woollies stock it prepacked but I won’t be risking eating that raw.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/844680/woolworths-fresh-skin-on-barramundi-fillets

1 Like

I think Luke Nguyen deserves a mention for his very interesting ‘Vietnam’ cooking series on SBS a few years ago, presented as a food documentary as he travelled his beautiful country.
Also, his ‘Luke Nguyen’s France’ which shows the strong influence French cuisine has had on Vietnam.

8 Likes

I have both those DVDS Caby . Really enjoyed watching them .

4 Likes

In the ‘France’ series, David Poirer (of La Grande Bouffe in Sydney) shows Luke how to cook his grandmother’s
recipe of Escargots à lá Provençal.

Think that might be of interest to Peter
@phb? :joy:

7 Likes

Very genuine, and relevant. Some even say that in what was Indo-China the locals bake bread better than the French and brew beer better as well. The latter judgement may be subject to personal preferences, or the low bar in international brewing set by France’s favourite neighbour - England!

I enjoyed the similar styled presentation of programs by Rick Stein in India and Adam Liaw in Japan and Asia.

6 Likes

Anyone else like Nigel Slater or Ainsley Harriot?

3 Likes

Perfect timing, with warmer weather, I have been the first snails out and about the past few days. Still need to build up the courage. :thinking:

6 Likes

Ninja snails hey?:rofl:

It’s the ones with the capes and a Katana that may be the most challenging to take on.

3 Likes

When our son was ateenager, we went to a French restaurant in Cairns, and much to our horror,he ordered and ate the snails.

I draw a line with snails and frogs’ legs.

2 Likes

It is certainly on my "bucket list " to have a meal at Luke Nguyen’s Red Lantern Restaurant in Sydney .

5 Likes

I have always liked him because he believes that flavours should develop as you eat: it drives me crazy when food has barely passed lips & people/judges start raving… (yes, I mean you, old Masterchef judges!!). “Packed with flavour” - before the food has even been given a chance…

5 Likes

There is something similar in the Japan produced Iron Chef series that consistently focused on individual characteristics of each ingredient. The ability of the chefs show cased, highlighted the flavours and textures of a single ingredient in a variety of ways or methods.

The panel always appeared to make the most of the dishes presented as a meal.

6 Likes

Escargot bourguignon is delightful. I’m not a fan of frog legs either. I love snails after they are fattened, purged and precooked ready for loads of garlic butter. :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Well here are my entries:
Keith Floyd, fun chef who seemed to pour more wine into himself than anything he was cooking.
Delia Smith, because she is so lovely.
Marco Pierre-White, can terrify by mere look to get oysters to open themselves opened up and ready to be served.

4 Likes

Marco Pierrre-White definitely a legend as far as chefs and restauranteurs go .

2 Likes

I watched Justine Schofield’s Outback Gourmet on SBS TV on Saturday and Sunday.

Whilst she always prominently displays her sponsors’ products such as Cobram olive oils, on both days she cooked something which had honey in it which she dispensed from one of those upside down squeeze plastic bottles.

Whether the bottle had no label on it, or only on one side, the other side of it was never shown.

I looked at the list of sponsors at the bottom of her webpage and noted there is no honey brand.

Looks like if you don’t pay, you don’t play.

Product placement has been endemic for decades in both TV and movies. At NIDA they teach you how to hold a can or bottle with the label out in week 2.