September 2022 Food Challenge - Kitchen Wipes/Cloths - what do you use?

Preparing food and cleaning up afterwards invariably results in spills, splashes and crumbs. To keep a kitchen neat, tidy and hygienic, these are wiped up. There are many products from single use disposal type products (eg. paper towels or disposable wipes) through to multiuse products (e.g. Chux, microfibre clothes or a piece of cotton).

Vote for the one you use most often:

• Multiuse cotton/natural fibre cloth
  • Multiuse synthetic cloth (such as microfibre, Chux or similar)
  • Single Use paper towel
  • Single use kitchen wipes (such as wet cleaning wipes)
  • Sponge
  • Other

0 voters

Let us know what you use, why you chose to use it, how long it lasts for and if you think it works well. You can also let us know what you don’t like about the ones you use.

Thanks again for the all the contributions for the August 2022 food challenge and special congratulations to @duncan, @pandrew3, @pamelanorth4 and @SherylW for their Food Challenge awarded posts.

5 Likes

I use Vileda cloths. The one I use in the kitchen goes in the wash each week and is replaced with a clean one. They last for a long time.

5 Likes

I am a paper towel person. All surfaces are wiped down with one of the better brands for quick spot cleaning. I will use a Chux rinsed in very hot water for the final clean. I was trained in a family food business and we could not take the risk of using a cloth that may be contaminated with food particles as it would take only one food poison episode to our clients to end the profitable business. When you are feeding large numbers of people just for lunch (50 - 100) the possibility of contaminated food could be very high if your food prep surfaces are not clean.
The question with cloths is; where do you put the cleaning cloth after you have used it. Does it smell sour? when you wet it, does it feel right? Is the surface you put the cloth down on clean? This eliminates the question you should always ask when you use something to clean with, who used it last? Did they rinse it under very hot water?

13 Likes

I use Aldi Power Force cloth wipes .Similar to Chux but only $ 3.60 for a roll of 50 against $10.00 for a roll of 60 Chux .

5 Likes

I use a generic “disposable” chux cloth which is rinsed, steamed in the microwave and regularly washed with laundry, dry in sun. It does look sad, but they last a long time, then have a second life as a workshop rag.

Same with the green scourer, but not in the laundry wash. I soak it with a drop of detergent to lift fats and boil it. I used to peg it in the dishwasher, but Mr Z objected.

Paper towel is occasionally used for compostable jobs, stuff that can’t go down the sink but will break down.

Cotton cloths have never caught on at our place. Tea towels are used to wipe clean wet plates only.

Crumbs are swept up with a brush into the scraps bucket. Our compost heap feeds possums, native rats, frogs, bandicoots, birds, as well as making rich soil, so very careful about what goes in.

8 Likes

We use microfibre cloths to wipe up and wipe down. They are thrown in to the wash to be cleaned. Once they are dried on the line, they are returned to the bottom of the pile of cloths and reused in turn.

For the glass (induction) cook top, I often clean off with a green scourer first, and only use the cloth to remove excess moisture.

3 Likes

General chux type and sponge seems to be good. Aldi sponges last a while. Chux style i reuse and wash to conserve. Throw away after they wear out. Tea towels for drying up. Not really into using microfibre.

4 Likes

We use a Mr Clean Tuffmates Magic Cloth or similar for most spills around the kitchen. They generally last a few years before needing replacement (have two, one in use and one washed ready for use). They are washed weekly in the washing machine (soaked in a nappy soaker if they develop a smell - this usually only occurs after a period of prolonged wet weather) and dried usually on the clothes line in the sun. We also rinse and wring out between uses. The only downside is they can’t be used on very hot surfaces (such as cooktop) as they melt.

We also use recycled ICare paper towels when spills occur on the floor. We don’t particular want to use a cloth for food preparation surfaces on the floor and then used again within the kitchen. Paper towels are composted after their single use.

4 Likes

To dry the dishes I use a tightly woven cotton tea towel, because it dries quickly and efficiently, it’s absorbent and durable, soft and lint-free.

Would have liked to use synthetic cloths for their super-absorbency and quick drying time after being washed, but they are a petroleum based product contributing to plastic pollution: tiny shreds of synthetic fabrics are being found in our oceans.

I also use strong and absorbent paper-towels to mop-up spills, and to wipe my hands when cooking, especially to avoid leaving greasy fingermarks all over.

5 Likes

I use Multiuse synthetic cloths e.g. Chux or similar and also use paper towels.
Just one thing that gets up my nose though is seeing baristas using a chux cloth or cloth to wipe/clean the steamer spout the cloth looks as though it hasn’t been changed all day. They should be using a paper towel and throw it away after every wipe.

4 Likes

We use Coles Ultra multi-purpose wipes. I presume they are synthetic but the packet is not helpful in that regard. I had never read the instructions before - “After use, rinse thoroughly with warm or hot water, wring and hang out to dry” but I wash them in the clothes washer and use a clean one each day.

I have had occasional concerns as to whether these products do shed tiny bits of synthetic material down the sink. If so, what is the best option?

3 Likes

To avoid plastic pollution in our waterways the best option would be cloths made from natural and organic fibres like hemp, cotton, linen, terry cloth. Also Cellulose from wood pulp responsibly sourced.

I’m using dishwashing cotton cloths, got from a supermarket some time ago in a packet of six, still going strong after many washes.

4 Likes

Paper towel can go into our green waste recycling (Moreland council, Victoria)

3 Likes

We actually use three types: “baby wipes” are great for hard to remove marks and tea stains, finger marks on the refrigerator door; a roll of toilet paper - quick tissue substitute; and Chux type cloth for general use - they go through the dishwasher to be re-used!

3 Likes

We use washable multi-fibre cloths to clean up in the kitchen. Ours are yellow and have lasted a long time.
After washing they can look a tad like a sheepskin, but once wet they look right and still work well.

It has been years since we bought them. There’s a pile of them under the sink in the cupboards.

3 Likes

Generally we use chux cloths. They are replaced with cleaned ones after one day or less. Recently I bought a roll of bamboo cloth in ALDI and they can be washed as well so now we use both types.
We discard them when they start falling apart but they hold up well.

1 Like

We use linen/cotton tea towels, plain paper towels, and woven wash cloths (chux like). The last are for sink and bench top duty before moving on to be used in general cleaning.

There are products as others have mentioned which are manufactured from renewable (over time) resources, and are claimed to breakdown in the environment without harm. They may also come with a little green credential embellishment to leave us consumers with a feel good message. Hopefully a reliable improvement?

EG for the Chux product the spin

Designed with the planet in mind these cloths are made from 100% natural (and renewable!) viscose cellulose and bamboo fibres and are 100% Biodegradable to naturally break down in compostable conditions.

It’s not exactly clear if all of the components of the cloth are 100% natural or just the portion made with cellulose/bamboo fibres?

There is also a Community topic which discusses the use of reconstituted dissolved plant micro fibre (cellulose) to manufacture yarn.

Informative to hear what others experiences have been with these or similar kitchen cloth products.
They appear to address concerns arising from micro-plastic waste. Would our consumer needs be better met if Choice could look to assessing and testing a range of these less harmful products?

2 Likes

Ditto. I wash them once a week and put them out to dry in the sun. When they get a hole or look worn out, they go in the rag bag. We’ve had the same roll for about 2 years.

2 Likes

I use Oates Wonder Cloths or similar brand. They are made of rayon and something else. They last for years. I just throw them into the machine at least weekly but I rinse well and give them 60 seconds in the microwave daily or after I have wiped up where there has been raw chicken or similar. Very absorbent and great for everything.

2 Likes