Separating vacuum parts

I have a very good vacuum but, being elderly, don’t have the wrist strength to change parts as the plastic parts stick together. And even my youngish neighbours are unable to take one head off to replace it with another. Should I rub Vaseline on the parts? Boiling water? RP7 or suchlike?
Advice would be much appreciated. At the moment I can use only one head. Thanks
Babs

Hi @Babs04, welcome to the community.

I would avoid applying anything to the connections/attachments as it may make it even more difficult to pull the parts apart. Things like Vaseline or other lubricants (WD40/RP7) will leave residues and will make the bond/seal between the two surfaces even better - meaning additional friction would be needed to pull the parts apart. They will also attract grit/dust which will further make removing a part even more difficult.

Boiling water is also not wise as it may deform any plastic making the fitment poor/impossible.

All I would suggest it to ensure the contact surfaces are thoroughly cleaned before putting them together. This could be using methylated spirits on a cloth or using warm soapy water.

Also if you vacuum allow it, try twisting the parts to loosen rather than pulling. Many vacuum attachments can be rotated within the fitting meaning they can be twisted apart. Twisting may be an easier action to remove the attachment.

It would be helpful if you would identify the vac make and model so we can understand whether your parts are press fit, latch fit, click fit, or something else. In cases the internet has brand specific methods to most easily remove wands and heads.

As a general statement using a lubricant can make it better or worse, the former for taking things apart but the latter if the fitting then falls apart too easily - including while being used. Silicone spray is clear and a wipe on/off leaving a slight residue might help. If it doesn’t the residue can be removed with various cleaners. A petroleum or oil based lubricant (including WD-40 and similar) could adversely affect the plastic over time as well as be a dust magnet. A gel/jelly like vaseline might alleviate the sticking but it could create other problems such as smearing and attracting dirt/dust at the joint.

I have an old vac I use in my ‘shed’ that has press fit wands. Pulling them straight apart is very difficult but twisting while pulling is not too difficult.

As you surmise someone with more arm/wrist strength might not have any difficulty so I need to follow up about

I fondly remember a human interest story form the Brisbane Courier Mail circa 1970s about a lady in her 90s still living by herself. The reporter asked how she got along and she indicated ‘two young men down the street’ helped her with groceries and other things. The reporter smelled a story about teens helping her out and went in search of the ‘young men’. They turned out to be both in their 60s. Are yours a bit younger? :wink:

4 Likes

well, more or less… both in their 60s…my sons in law - all 3- stay well away.
my vacuum is push and twist and I have a cleaner once a fortnight but he doesn’t empty the vacuum… my bad!
thanks

3 Likes

PS. ive used some pure soap as a first step

If it is push and twist, as I indicated above, applying anything to the surfaces is likely to increase the resistance to undo. It may also increase the likelihood of the connection jamming if it causes dust to accumulate on the surfaces. I would just be keeping the connection surfaces very clean.

Can he? It might be the easiest solution. Maybe ask to see if he can empty the vacuum when it is full. Maybe also have a rubbish bag ready for him so that it can be emptied and placed in the waste bin.

2 Likes

Most push and twist fittings have a rubber grommet/seal to ensure the connection doesn’t leak. If yours does, check to make sure the seal isn’t damaged or has gone hard - which can make pushing and twisting harder to do. If it is damaged or the rubber has hardened, consider replacing if the spare part is available.

Try searching online with your vacuum model and with the term ‘seal’.