Scam watch 2022 and onwards

Heard about a scam or phishing scheme and want to warn others? Want to chat about particularly big scam or news incidents?

We’ve created this new thread to capture general chat and updates regarding scams that may impact Australians. We also encourage Community members to start a new topic thread if you want a focused discussion on a particular scam event.

For the latest updates on scams to watch out for, visit the government Scamwatch website. Plus, read our advice on how to avoid being scammed.

4 Likes

I’ve reported a few scams texts etc to scamwatch… It’s one of the most unfriendy sites to use…
There could be an option to report a scam as an FYI and then one to report you’ve been impacted via a scam, but in the end you go thorough tthe same process (Unless you report anonymously) .
A imple form to say scan reporting to be tript and the phone number should be enough.

It does collect a lot of data if you aren’t anonymous … can’t see why if it’s only a report

2 Likes

Scamwatch - reports take too much time to fill in and submit and not much incentive.

I would like to see a search facility for scams. Eg put in a phrase like “Australian David James Koch Shuts Up Larry Emdur and Kylie Gillies” and have it return it as a reported scam. At present the Scamwatch scam advice is in general terms. It might be a phishing exercise or it could be an investment scam, or it could be legit!!? Supposedly the host made money within 7 minutes of downloading the app and placing a trade. It is in my inbox several times a day and now turning up as an advert on YouTube.

I report it as spam to my email provider who has a poor track record of stopping scams (even ones from their own domain, looking to defraud their own customers by impersonating the email provider - your account is overdue - click this link).

Is there a “Snopes” site for scams?

4 Likes

This is from the USA but reflects a troubling reality that merchant accounts seem to be granted willy nilly and ‘name-a-like’ domains are no worries. If this is not already happening here, after this publication it almost certainly will attract some copy cats if there are not already some in ‘business’.

3 Likes

It is. It has been shown in the community that it happens in Australia for heavy equipment, tractor etc sales, where scammers set up bogus website using details of genuine companies.

The difference here are the ‘scammers’ or maybe better term is ‘entrepreneurs’ place genuine orders with the real business, charge a 15% commission for ordering through them. This also happens in Australia - think any booking website. The difference here is the website created appears to look like the businesses one rather than a booking platform.

2 Likes

There was a whole discussion a while back about bogus Weber BBQ sites being set up.

2 Likes

A difference is the US report includes bogus accounts being set up in ‘near-enough’ names as well as the 'booking site type skimming" local food orders (and what else) from small businesses.

3 Likes

A type of scam that is still in the noise in Australia but seems to be more lucrative in the US: Psychic scams are swindling Australians out of thousands of dollars, but no one is going after the culprits - ABC News

1 Like

Hmm. To me that article reminds me of organizations that have operated with complete immunity for thousands of years. Although fighting against each other for control of the patch. And still do and few of their victims realise they are being scammed.