Scam phone calls - Chat Bots

I received a call on the landline from what seems to be a Chat Bot soliciting donations for a charity. Weird call, but after some research others have identified it as a chat bot that uses several numbers and confirmed that the small NSW charity has nothing to do with it.

Well spoken female voice launched into a spiel about a wonderful charity that I could donate to. Sounded like a recording as it did not stop when I spoke, but then changed tack and began answering my question, wouldn’t stop until finished. Quoted statistics about youth suicide, but only told me it was Allknd.org when I pressed for a name and a website.

Numbers the chat bot uses - 0728093442, 0890718474, 0280537528, and others. Complaints report she, “Lucy Edwards” claimed to represent different organisations such as the Save the Forests, Save the Barrier Reef, Cancer Council & All Kind.

Very convincing, and probably we have gotten too used to identifying scam calls by the strong overseas accents.

10 Likes

Got a phone call from “Emily Peters” who has the same voice and manner ie Chat bot, claiming to represent an Animal Welfare charity. Launched into an impassioned talk about how many dogs and cats are put down every day.

I had fun, interrupting to ask something else, but it kept talking until it could assemble an answer and start the new script. I did ask if it was a Chat bot and shortly after it terminated the call. It is a spoofed number.

3 Likes

My most recent Samsung (S22) is very good at identifying scam calls and telemarketers. It was worth the upgrade just for this function.