Ryobi warranty

Over the last 6 months I have bought at least 6 Ryobi cordless tools for the garden. I have registered all of them on ryobi website for 6 years replacement warranty = normal 4 years + extended 2 years. However, recently I bought one tool which like all previous tools showed on the box 6 years replacement warranty if registered online. I did that, and it only showed 2 years ‘normal’ warranty - and not the 6 years as shown on the box? I emailed ryobi and they said that product only had 2 years warranty. The box clearly showed 6 years replacement warranty. I have emailed ryobi again with the photos of the box. Will wait to hear back from them.
What are the views here?

6 Likes

Bunnings did a deal with Ryobi (2008?) to be the only - exclusive seller of their products in Australia. Have you gone back to Bunnings for a response, as under ACL they are primarily responsible for resolving any warranty or product issues. Given the tight and close relationship Bunnings are in the ‘hot seat’ to ensure that the 6 years offer is met.

On the longer warranty period, were there any fine print conditions attached to the offer such as a limited time offer or other details attached? A pic of the packaging might help to illustrate what you thought you were getting.

5 Likes

Thanks, Mark. Good suggestion about going to Bunnings about the warranty. I hope I won’t need to make a claim, but it is a matter of principle. The 6 years warranty is standard on most tool boxes. There is no limited offer or anything. I have taken photos of the all 4 sides of the boxes to show Ryobi in an email - all showed 6 years warranty. All my other tools from Ryobi registered for 6 years without any problem - all showed in my account logon, no hassle. Not sure why this particular tool?

4 Likes

Most likely it is just a simple mistake that the details on the pack and in the registration software and the data available to your email correspondent disagree. From your point of view it doesn’t matter which warranty period they intended to be the case for the product, the figure it says on the pack is what you bought and what they should honour.

5 Likes

Ryobi emailed me a survey on the particular product. I filled in the survey, but when I tried to submit their website crashed so my comments were not submitted. Pity because I have never filled out their survey previously. Will wait for their reply to my email with the photos. Next time I am in Bunnings branch where I bought the tool, I will show them the box (plenty on the shelf - showing 6 years warranty) and my ryobi tool box (showing 2 years warranty) to hear their views.

3 Likes

I would suggest that you tell them that you bought it based on what was written on the box, and they can’t change that. Even if it was said to be a printing error, it was up to them to notice it and take steps to correct.

It would be considered false advertising if they tried to change from what was on the box.

4 Likes

I bought a lighting fixture from Bunnings a few years ago. The warranty on the outside of the box was double what was on the inside warranty sheet. Bunnings just said keep the receipt and the box or photos of the box and she’ll be right if I were to have a problem.

6 Likes

Update: matter resolved :+1: Ryobi replied and said email was sent by mistake, warranty has been corrected in mytools to show 4 years standard + 2 years extended = total 6 years. All sorted :smile:

6 Likes

Great outcome! Thank you for letting us know how it turned out.

4 Likes