Ryobi Electric Line Trimmer Consumables

I’d like to send cautionary note to all those contemplating purchasing Ryobi line trimmers that have “auto feed” feature.

I recently purchased the RLT5030. The machine trimmed well and I liked the auto-feed function so no complaints about it functionality. However the line ran out on my second use. It was then that I discovered that this machine’s design was such that you had to buy a whole replacement spool for $11.90. This seemed unreasonable. My old “bump feed” trimmer’s line use was such that during its 7 year life I only had to buy 2 packets of replacement line.

Because of the prospect of paying essentially $12 every time I had to mow the lawn, I returned to Bunnings to discuss this with the person in charge of power gardening.

He said that I could use replacement line but that I should only refill it a maximum of 6 times before purchasing a new $12 replacement spool. He explained that this was because the plastic teeth on the trimmer body would wear down if I used the same spool and, since that could not be replaced, once that happened the machine would have to be thrown away.

I have taken the replacement line option since a refund was not offered. 15 meters of replacement line for $4 and a new $12 spool unit every 6 mows seems a lot better than $12 per mow in peak summer.

My recommendation to those who maintain anything larger that a courtyard to give this machine (and its ilk) a big miss! In future I will stick to the “bump feed” trimmers even though they are a little more fiddly.

I note that the battery version of the auto-fed machine has a 3 pack of replacement spools. I take this as an indication that Ryobi realize that this “feature” of their machines is actually a weakness.

5 Likes

I’ve had a Ryobi one+ line trimmer with auto feed for 2 years. It ran out for the first time a month ago. I bought my own line and respooled it myself. Sounds like yours is faulty.

1 Like

The Bunnings man says its not faulty.Clearly they got it right with the cordless model (well done!) but failed with the electric one

Maybe respool yourself?
Or go cordless! You won’t regret it… Your bank account might, but you won’t :slight_smile:
I have about 15 things now. :smile:

The one plus system looks very attractive. Might start with my next cordless drill and go from there. As I mentioned in my original post I have taken the re-spool 6 times option suggested by Mr Bunnings. We shall see how that option pans out. I’ll probably find out soon since we are into weekly mows until summer finishes (probably March 2017 if last year is anything to go by) :slight_smile:

I have have a ryobi 1 plus trimmer as well. I respool it myself too. I can’t understand that yours goes through so much line. I imagine the spool system would be the same, being that manufacturers like to standardize things? Because mine is cordless I don’t keep stop and starting the trimmer to ease the repeated start up load on the motor /battery. Perhaps every time when you squeeze the trigger it does a little line feed?

Most line trimmer users, petrol, electric or battery tend to expect more than the units are designed to do! When you finish trimming look at the line. It should taper away to a point, like a sharp pencil. If so you are getting the maximum from the unit and it’s line. If not? If it is square (like it has been cut with a knife) you are working it too hard and line has broken. Only put about 25 mm into the grass. It will be a bit slower but a lot cheaper minimizing line breakage and maximizing cut per $. Also, do not be tempted to use thicker line. This Will almost certainly overload the machine and void the warranty and thicker line, you can’t wind as much line on!

ps Yes, I work at Bunnings.

I’ve had the 18v one+ trimmer for a couple of years now and I’ve only replaced the cord once. When using it try not to put the line too close to any solid object as that will wear/break the line much quicker. I haven’t had any issues with mine.

Interesting to note that Ryobi has a Contract with Bunnings. Bunnings is the major and main supplier of Ryobi products and will always “push” the Ryobi Brand before others…

Buyer Beware!

Just looking for any updates on these Ryobi 18V One+ line trimmers? Bunnings have a new $99 model out…R18LTR415…which I just saw instore (but I could only find it on the NZ website at this time).
I thought it was a winner, until I queried the line feed. You buy a 3 x pack of spools for $23. And nowhere can I find the length of the cord on each spool.
Seeing as this post was written 5 years ago, just wondering if this re-spooling yourself is still an option? Also, how have the line trimmers lasted, and how often do you need to buy replacement spools?
Ryobi are offering good replacement warranties…6 years + 3 years on battery and charger.
I’m just more concerned that I end up in the situation similar to buying a $25 printer and then having to spend a small fortune on the inks!! :grin:

2 Likes

Line trimmer chord is not brand specific. One can purchase any generic brand of chord and hand wind the spools with minimal skill. It is simply a matter of choosing the correct diameter of line. EG 1.6mm to suit the suggested Ryobi model. $7.89 for 50 metres.

50m might last years for the average yard or garden.

Be aware that many battery implements are sold as skins IE a battery and charger will cost extra.

P.S.
Noted the NZ listed model includes a battery and charger. Other Ryobi products listed by Bunnings appear to have similar pricing in Australia and NZ. Perhaps it is worth asking your local Bunnings if the same model is or will be available in Australia.

3 Likes

Indeed. I have a rather old Stihl line trimmer that is hand-wound with two lengths of line, each three metres long. I bought 50m of line years ago and still have about half left. If upgrading to a cordless electric trimmer, I would need to query how much line is held on the spool. Having gotten so used to 2 x 3 metres, anything less would be quite annoying.

2 Likes

I just bought this line and respooled it myself, unfortunately this line is not as good as the original line, it breaks very easily and I have to re-feed it all the time.

3 Likes

We have found many of the replacement lines are of inferior quality to OEMs. It often pays to try a few different brands as the dearest might not be the best, nor the cheapest if it keeps breaking resulting is a lot of wastage or more fugitive plastic added to the environment.

We have taken to using the line the next size up from that specified by the manufacture in order to try and reduce line breakage.

2 Likes