CHOICE membership

Robin's Kitchen "Closing Down For Renovation Sale"

I would like to nominate Robin’s Kitchen for a Shonky for their recent “closing down for renovation sale” at Stockland Shopping Centre in Earlville, FNQ as per my post under Scams.

2 Likes

Our local Robin’s Kitchen had two of these within about 6 months. First one was legitimate in that the store was refurbished to the Shopping Centre requirements. The last one I am not sure what they did but it was a sale. From memory to claim that it is a sale they have to have a reason (which can be as flimsy as a piece of wet rice paper in a cyclone), not sure if that is still or was really ever the case but if they changed the shelving in a corner of the storeroom that could be “renovation”.

4 Likes

But they certainly would not need to clear the store to do so.

Did you notice if they had a glass cabinet to display unpacked knives?

3 Likes

Yes they do. The renovation stuff is just a reason and it doesn’t require that a whole store is renovated to be acceptable as a reason…sadly just a reason to call it a sale.

5 Likes

Was the glass cabinet installed during the renovation and how long ago was the renovation?

1 Like

They had one in the store for about 2 years from memory. I don’t go there often, only to buy the enamel coated baking trays they seem to stock that no one else does. Typically in most other types of stores eg Big W the trays are coated with non stick which we abhor. The reno that occurred first was an actual refurb that had a repaint, new shelving and new flooring, the second one that just occurred was to my eyes indistinguishable from the first but as I said a single shelf change could be enough to call it a renovation.

As to dates the first one was about 6 months ago so May June sort of time frame and took about 2-3 weeks to complete, latest one was about a day to do, if that long.

1 Like

Did they have a “closing down for renovation sale”?

It sounds like the glass display cabinets must not be mandatory if they are being fitted ad hoc at various stores.

1 Like

Yes that is what they called it @Fred123, both times. They did close just one was so short as to be almost like a flitting dream.

1 Like

Most every shop closes every night, to reopen anew :wink:

2 Likes

Yes. But without any shonky sale advertising.

But it seems they could. Then there is the ‘going out for business’ sales.

1 Like