Rice cookers - use to cook soup?

Can Rice cookers be used to cook soup?

1 Like

Basically rice cookers are an electric saucepan that turns off when the water in the rice has been absorbed. For something more liquid, I assume it will continue cooking until you’ve switched it off. I’ve cooked lentil dhal in mine so should be no problem cooking soup.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @pjgovernance

Apparently Rice Cookers are very versatile.

Or this one,

Novel Ways to Cook your food. Fact or Fiction - #5 by phb

The all singing and dancing versions found in SE Asia, Korea, Japan etc come with numerous settings for cooking much more than rice.

3 Likes

Hi @pjgovernance, welcome to the community.

Rice cookers can be used for soups. When cooking in a rice cooker, treat it like you would for cooking soup on a cooktop - that being to regular check the cooking progress. Don’t let the rice cooker get to the a stage where it automatically switches to warm, as the contents will lack fluid and be overcooked.

Soup cooked in a rice cooker is possibly better than on a cooktop as a rice cooker has a thermostat to prevent it overheating and burning - unlike many cooktops where temperature adjustment to get a soft boil is difficult.

If you want to try, I can recommend the $14 Anko rice cooker from Kmart. A long story but we now have two, and friends have also bought it as well and like its performance They perform well and it is this one we use for cooking things other than rice.

3 Likes