Reviving an old iPod Classic – the pros and cons

Does anyone still have one of these? If so, you might be able to bring it back to life:

1 Like

A good idea, but many, many years too late.

I am surprised that the battery has lasted and holds a charge. We have many devices much newer in which the batteries have passed their used by date.

We were locked out of our iPod, and even after seeking Apple’s help we were never able to use it again. An expensive waste!

2 Likes

Never owned an iPod, but owned several ‘iPod-adjacent’ music players. One of them used mini CDs, but I think the others all had hard drives.

The trouble with iPods for me was that they offered too little storage and way too little flexibility. They also required iTunes on your computer.

Back in the day, I installed iTunes on my PC and it started moving all of my (carefully filed and labelled) music collection around. Cancelled that and uninstalled. iTunes is a little more sensitive about such things now, although it still allows the user to apply its preferences to their library and make a total mess of it.

3 Likes

I have 2 iPods - a 120gig and a 160gig.
They were purchased in 2006-2007.
Both still working.
I make sure to cycle the battery :battery: at least once a month whenever they are not in regular use.

I set up my music :notes: library using iTunes and have stuck with iTunes version 10 for Windows as iTunes v11 brought some very unwelcome changes.

2 Likes