Returning fruit/veg

That would be the one I met on a Sydney-Canberra flight. A few minutes after takeoff he cautiously looked out the window and declared to his partner that since we were over the ocean they must have got on the wrong plane. He then turned to me and asked if Canberra was truly inland and at an elevation of 1900 ft as it said in the guide book. I assured him it was so. They discussed this disaster for a few more minutes as we climbed, the lady confirming they had the right tickets and had entered the right gate. He wasnā€™t convinced. About Wollongong the plane turned right towards the nationsā€™s capital.

3 Likes

Iā€™d hope so, as once squeezed too often, how does one really know? The bruised end will be soft before the rest of the fruit ripens.

Iā€™d prefer my avos stored carefully away from prying hands, and issued like prized whiskey from the top shelf. 3-7 days to ripen at home if freshly picked, some times longer depending on the room temperature and optional banana.

Apologies to those who expect ripe avocados on demand. Unless you have a local F&V that is managing itā€™s stock and customers carefully, all I find is a bin full of over ripe heavily bruised fruit. Itā€™s often sorted from the unripened fruit, which as a consequence has also been individually fingered every day with each sorting. Iā€™d be returning all as not of sound quality.

The expectation that a supermarket can assure itā€™s fresh fruit and veg is perfect and ready to go remains unrealised. Itā€™s the store of last resort, although likely the most convenient for many.

2 Likes

Remember the local fruit shop and the mobile fruit & vegetable seller and his truck.
The vendor handled the fruit, picking up the ones you pointed at or the ones he recommended, and putting them in a paper bag for you.
1960s and full employment, and fruit that wasnā€™t squeezed & bruised and placed back on a self-serve display.

2 Likes

Our local Coles had a display full of Hass avocados this week at 4 for $5.

The fruit ranged from completely over ripe to fully green. It was a new display with new season avocados so customers were not responsible for the faulty fruit, just Coles staff not doing their jobs properly.

At least with Haas the difference is obvious to those who pay attention.

Returned Frozen Beans

Last year at the height of the lockdown and food supply shortages I had to buy a packet of frozen beans sourced from China. The pack looked good but upon boiling/steaming the product they turned into shrivelled boot laces with the same taste and chewiness. The next trip into woolies saw me returning this rubbish and giving credit . The staff of woolies they did not have any hesitation in giving me a refund as an exchange at this time was out of the question (no frozen veges available).

2 Likes

At least you lived to tell the tale.

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/industry/foodrecalls/recalls/Pages/Creative-Gourmet-Frozen-Mixed-Berries-300g.aspx

Some of the recalls when Creative Gourmet used to import rubbish from China before they woke up and switched to the Americas.