Replacing Gas Hot Water and Heating

Not to disagree with either viewpoint but would a price on carbon significantly change those equations or just be a blip on the finances?

Impact would depend on if any household assistance came from Govts to offset the increased cost of carbon fuel. Also how do you factor in future “maybes” or is it even worth bothering to do that analysis.

3 Likes

With government making ‘long term’ policy until the next election why bother? The only guarantee is that it will change and one’s carefully planned out future is no more assured to go as expected than a lotto. Unless of course one successfully stands for office and meets the longevity required for lifetime pollie perks. Then there are black swans from time to time to make it really interesting.

3 Likes

In November 2019, I had ocassion to contribute to the topic “Replacing Gas Hot Water and Heating”.

My observation was” I changed from a gas continuous (?) hot water system to a gas instantaneous hot water system for a cost of $1320. Massive reduction in gas cost! Only downside is the 10-15 sec delay for the hot water to arrive.”

Fast forward to January 2021, or as Rheem Australia would say, 10 months outside warranty period. (except for heat exchanger). No hot water, indeed no water from hot water tap on three occasions in seven days. I have my local, and trusted, plumber come on two occasions (at $121 per occasion) who flushes system and cleans filter.

Eventually decide to contact Rheem Australia regarding possible warranty issues and Rheem arrange to get their only accredited Rheem Plumber in Wagga Wagga to investigate. On 18 Jan 2021 Plumber is able to diagnose issue over the phone without inspecting unit and advises replacement of a certain part. (Even did not need a video stream). Quoted $385. I ask how long before replacement part will be available and here, I’m truly blessed because he has the part available and can be at my place in 30 minutes. I do admit to some hesitation at this point, as sight unseen a remedy is available and an expensive part is on hand. However, he advises it is not an uncommon issue with Wagga Wagga’s hard water and even though the suggestion of known issue and fit for purpose considerations flash through my mind I agree for the Rheem authorised plumber to replace part.

Price quoted is exclusive of GST so total bill is $423.50. Add $242 for my previous own Plumber’s visits and I have just outlaid a further 50.4% of original purchase price for a gas instantaneous hot water system not yet four years old. I did keep the part replaced, being, in my eyes, pristine. To my question to the Rheem Plumber about how good are Rheem I am advised that the Rheem authorised Plumber was once one employed by Rheem, and yes, they did have issues with a batch of 2016 manufactured units. How good does this get? My unit was manufactured in (drum roll) 2016 but installed on 1 March 2017.

After two days of discomfort, I ring Rheem warranty people on 20 Jan 2021 and I am put through to their customer service representative for the day, Sharon, as Natalie is away.

At Sharon’s request, I email copies of the authorised Rheem plumbers’ invoice and proof of payment of same. Over phone service was excellent and the requests made to provide documentation encouraging. Foolishly I anticipated a reply phone call on the following day.

Today, 4 working days later I attempt to ring Sharon but can only leave a message. You guessed it, no subsequent phone call.

So, what does one do, having previously advised fellow Choice members of the benefit of a continuous flow gas water heater system. The unit I bought was a 26 litre Rheem.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear your instantaneous HWS failed so soon.

While watching for your post about a good outcome I wonder how many are aware Rheem owns and operates HWS brands including (at least) Rheem, Aquamax, Solahart, and Vulcan. All ‘enjoy’ the same after sales service.

1 Like

Did you email the documentation?

If you did, I would send they a polite email asking confirmation that they received the documentation and whether a decision has been made to resolve the problems you are having with your instantaneous water heather.

This step is important should you take it further as it shows that you have been ‘polite’ and also willing to negotiate a resolution with them.

Yes, requested information sent by email same day.

Followup email, along lines you have suggested was sent after close of business yesterday after no response to phone message left yesterday morning.

2 Likes

On Friday, send a follow up email saying if you haven’t received a response in 5 business days, you plan to take the matter further. Also message Angela Forrest as well…

https://au.linkedin.com/in/angela-forrest-5394a7a7

2 Likes

Today was a holiday for many of us. @phb’s suggestion of Friday seems appropriate.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Last night I also shared my Choice posting with Rheem. (I regret to say wine was an issue).

I will wait for a response tomorrow am. If no response, and paranoid as this may be, I propose to seek a technical assessment of the part that was replaced.

Started access to Angela-Forrest, thanks phb, but immediately encountered a screen asking me to sign up to LinkedIn? What am I likely to achieve if I proceed?

1 Like

You would see contact information. Sometimes it is a personal or corporate email and sometimes it is only a linkedin PM ‘email’. In her case it is a linkedin PM but still a way to make contact.

As a bonus (sorry about the humour) you will receive not one, but many regular emails about establishing your ‘network’ of professional contacts, embellishing your profile, and then some, unless you disable the ‘valuable messages’ in your account profile.

1 Like

Thanks Phil T…and a PM “email” is?

1 Like

PM is a message sent within the platform’s messaging service (e.g. within Linkedin, Choice Community, Facebook etc) to another member/user. PM stands for private or personal message.

Thanks phb. So that I’ve got this right your message / advice to me is a public one and not a private message. And to show my ignorance, who is Angela-Forrest…and what am I likely to achieve if I follow your suggestion and contact her?

The https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyEfficientElectricHome/ site is vehemently pro-electricity and against gas or wood heating. However they fail to acknowledge the benefits of a gas BBQ for a barbie.

When logged into linkedin and viewing a profile, there is a ‘Message button’. When one can ‘PM’ (private/personal message) the button appears as

Angela Forrest is the National Customer Experience Manager at Rheem Australia.

But linkedin seems to have ‘updated’ their systems sometime in recent years so only ‘contacts’ can message their ‘contacts’, and ‘premium linkedin members’ can message anyone.

Linkedin users are thus somewhat protected from spam, unwanted reach-outs, and potentially from customers such as yourself needing some assistance beyond the ‘service desk’ who are not her ‘contacts’ and do not pay for linkedin membership (and decline the offer of the free trial for premium.)

Her profile message button thus looks like this with a lock shown.

and if the button is pressed as a free linkedin user, and I am not one of her contacts, the response is

I don’t know who ‘David’ is but since he uses ‘premium’ it must be good :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks PhilT,
I’ll keep Linkedin in reserve for now.

2 Likes

I received advice today that Rheem have rejected any warranty consideration. Case has now been sent to Dept. of Fair Trading.

I found Rheem’s customer service poor. Unanswered phone messages, directed to incorrect email address so process stalled for period 20-28 Jan 2021. (no bounced emails so presume address still “live”). As previously advised my Continuous Flow Gas Water Heater is not yet four years old. The manual recommends a major service after five years. I wonder how many get there.

1 Like

Just a question, did the plumber indicate how long the component should last and whether you had good service life from it. While the 2016 may have faults, your unit may have been an exception and the part life is ‘normal’. This will possibly be something Rheem will argue if Fair Trading decides to take it on further.

No, I didn’t ask plumber the expected lifespan of part. Can I assume it’s not real flash if he has the part to hand, and has diagnosed the problem sight unseen.

1 Like

Most plumbers (and other tradies) will have commonly replaced (consumables) on hand. Many will also be able to diagnose sight unseen if good information is given by the owner/user about the fault (possibly you had done this which is terrific as it possible saved you costs of the plumber having to do an inspection, leave and then return to replace the part).

I can’t see where you have posted the exact part which was replaced to do a search to see if it was a common fault, including that of those water heaters manufactured in 2016.

This seems to indicate that it may be a part which needs replacing due to unusually high soluble or insoluble solids in the local water.

It would be good to know what the part is as it may provide a better idea if it is something which should last longer or is more a consumable part which is replaced more frequently.

Another question, does the manual/user guide say anything about the part (service life, when it should be replaced, maintenance required etc)?

Edit: It is also worth reading the Plumber’s service guide…

https://admin.rheem.com.au/sites/default/files/2018-01/TheRheemPHB2017webversion.pdf

as it provides some information that plumbers refer to in relation to servicing/repairing water heaters. Looking at this guide, it appears that a unit may need modification/adjustment after sale and on installation to meet local water parameters. If the fault occurs because this was not done, it may be a claim against the installing plumber and not Rheem. If this is the case, you possibly won’t be successful pursuing Rheem.

1 Like