Rent bidding

CHOICE is looking into the issue of rent bidding - where a prospective tenant voluntarily offers to pay more rent that the advertised price in hopes of being selected. While it’s generally illegal for agents or landlords to ask prospective tenants to pay more, it’s not illegal for people looking for a home to offer it. Have you offered more than the advertised price for a rental, or know someone who has?

3 Likes

Yes, my daughter has offered above the advertised price and still not been successful. She’s now moved into her boyfriend’s 1 bedroom apartment. Given they both work from home fro a few days each week, I’m not sure how they’ll manage.

2 Likes

Yes, I have. It was about six years ago for a property in the inner north of Canberra. My housemates and I bid $25 above the advertised price; so we offered $625 instead of $600p/w. We loved the house and the location and between us it was only a few dollars each per week. We were successful in the application. I can’t say if the “above asking” offer was why our application was successful, but it was a very competitive market. I felt like it was worth it for us - for the great location, for securing a property and ending the stress of searching.

1 Like

Yes, my daughter did several years ago and was successful. I think it was done less frequently then. Less competition at that time but if you found something you really wanted, it was a good idea. Now things are really dreadful and people shouldn’t have to do this just to have a chance at all.

2 Likes

You may consider also some rental agents are finding another way to outwit the system.

No need to bid higher. The owner will look more favourably if one pays 3 months, 6 months, 12 months in advance. I’m aware of one in the extended family in QLD who recently agreed to the last of the 3 options to lock in a rental despite it being a 12 month lease! :roll_eyes: That was on top of 6 weeks bond and $700pw.

Doubtless the agent and owner are crying all the way to the $$$$. Also no overhead for a third party to collect the rent each month.

Several of our family rent. Their experiences suggest making an offer greater than the advertised rate is the only way to be successful. “Nudge nudge wink wink”. The body language of the agent and tight market seem to avoid the need for the agents to say anything other than to respond more enthusiastically.

1 Like