Rent Assistance from Centrelink

You had on one of your posts that the rent assistance for a single person was a certain amount in relation to the rent you pay. What if you are a single person but a widow? I found out that as a single person but a widow my rent assistance was reduced by a certain percentage even though I have the same outgoings, utilities etc that any other single person has that received the full rental assistance. Why should widows be discriminated from receiving full rental assistance?

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Coringa971,

There could be reasons related to the assets and income tests that would be your first place to check your situation against those hurdles. Not having been through that process and only reading I don’t see a specific reference to widows excepting in the hardship provisions, and a widow allowance is ending regardless, being replaced by the aged pension with its own rules, noting younger widows who have been housewives/family carers could obviously fall into difficult circumstances.

Could you provide a reference to where singles vs widows are treated differently on that basis alone?.

If you are still feeling disadvantaged after checking those conditions, your MP and the Minister would be the places to get answers but be prepared for a tornado class spin from them or more likely from their bureaucrats to whom they hand off the task to respond to such queries.

Centrelink does seem to have a history suggesting their ‘clients’ are treated as adversaries and government has been comfortable with that (eg robodebt as an example) until there is no other option.

3 Likes

When your payment was first granted, or when it was last reviewed if the rate was changed, you should have got a letter advising you of the grant and the reason why the rate was set.

If you didn’t get a letter or have lost it I suggest that you write to Centrelink and ask for a detailed explanation of why your rate is not the maximum.

3 Likes

You will find that a widow is treated as a single by definition, which reflects the current status of the household. Differences exist between singles, couples and households with dependents for Centrelink assessments on benefits which may be available.

In relation to rent assistance, Centrelink has information on differing levels of assistance for different household types:

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Coringa971

When you completed the rent assistance questionnaire did you indicate you were paying rent, lodgings, board and lodgings, or some other payment. If you indicated you were paying board and lodgings but could not (or did not) determine the actual lodging amount of that figure, Centrelink determine the lodgings to be 2/3rd of the total amount you pay.

Is this your circumstance? You may have incorrectly stated Board and Lodgings (B&L) when you only meant Lodgings. B&L means that a portion of the payment includes food/meals that are supplied as part of the benefits of that payment. Lodgings alone refers only to the cost of where you stay, not included food costs.

If you are paying B&L then if the lodging amount can be determined and would be greater than the 2/3rd assessment you should have that amended. If it’s less than the 2/3rd amount you are better off staying with the Centrelink assessment.

4 Likes

@Coringa971 We are guessing at answers which my be relevant or not to your situation.

To get the absolutely correct information, I would suggest that you either phone up Centrelink (be prepared for a longggggggg frustrating wait to talk to someone) or make an appointment at your nearest Centrelink office and talk to the staff there (be prepared for a wait). They should be able to check all your records and explain why you are receiving what you are receiving.

I have found that generally if you approach the conversation in a friendly way the Centrelink staff are friendly to you. If you find there is an error in your records you should to correct the information. They may ask you to provide corroborating evidence.

4 Likes