Refusing inspection when leaving Bunnings

I bought some batteries at Woollies a few years ago and the exit alarm at the checkout went off.

The operator tried to deactivate the product several times to no avail and then said to me not to worry about it.

I replied that I was going to Coles and did not want the problem again to which she said just show them your receipt.

I did the better option and put the purchases in our vehicle before going to Coles.

And in light of the discussions regarding stamping dockets to stop thieves double-dipping, nothing would have prevented anyone removing the Woollies batteries from their shopping bags and replacing them with Coles batteries so as to steal them.

Retail is in dire straits in Australia with the impacts of online competition, low consumer spending, excessive rents and thieving being some of the major factors.

When I read the news articles online this morning, nine.com.au had an article regarding the latest retailer collapse with a list of recent business failures at the bottom of the article.

When my wife and I returned home today after shopping at our local Harris Scarfe for items that only they stock anymore prior to their scheduled closing down, nine.com.au had updated the article to advise that Jeanswest was now the latest business collapse.

Refusing inspection is doing nothing to help the current retail crisis which not only affects the retailers like Bunnings but their staff and their families, their suppliers, and numerous other parties.

As long as the inspections are not being done in a discriminatory manner, why not just help all parties by being co-operative?

And if anyone needs an illustration of just how low some “Aussies” are prepared to stoop to to defraud others, then check this out.

How many consumers would be happy to have an anti-thieving levy added to the bottom of their shopping docket so as to offset the impact of thieving grubs.

4 Likes