Recommend a podcast app

While we are at it, I used to love the iPhone podcast app when it was still iTunes. At some point a few years they changed the app and renamed it to Apple Podcasts and removed a bunch of features such as autoplay next in queue from recently uploaded content (when my queue had exhausted itself). This morning I opened the app the continue playing the episode that I was listening to yesterday and it defaulted from the start to an episode I had listened to 3 weeks ago. It does this fairly frequently, and today I was fortunate that when it did do it I still had my lengthly list of carefully curated queued episodes intact.

What free services do people use that they can recommend?

What paid services do people use that they can recommend?

2 Likes

If you were on Android I would recommend Doggcatcher as a paid app. I found it very useful… until I switched to Apple.

Pocket Casts is my current app of choice. Not as good as what I left behind, but better than a few others I have tried. I am using the free version, but there is a subscription available.

2 Likes

I have been using Overcast for years. Firstly on my Android phones and lately, now on my iPhone. Easy to use, free, search facility, skip ads facility and really all that I need.

1 Like

I’ve used pocket casts for years since I got frustrated with Apple Podcasts. It’s fantastic. Very easy to use and synchronises across IOS and Android devices.

1 Like

Since you gave me this recommendation two weeks ago I have been using Overcast. It has many great features but a few bug and UX tricks that haven’t completely won me over. I will try the other recommendation here and report back.

1 Like