Reacher/grabber recommendations for picking up rubbish

Hello everyone, I am wanting to purchase a grabber to pick up rubbish when I walk my dogs. It is hard to tell through pictures on the internet which are good quality and which will soon end up being rubbish themselves, (I currently can’t shop in-store). Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

3 Likes

The grabber that I used for 18 months and picked up over 1,000 cane toads was $2.50 from King Kong Sales. It is now nearing 3 years, apart from the plastic handle fading and looking brittle from being out doors, it is still going. When they finally got more stock in I bought 5. I have modified them - one I extended the cable and shaft to reach toads further into the dam, another I put a blade on to cut soft stems on fruit, and plan to put a jam tin under to catch them.

King Kong Sales are a “cheap” shop - lots of parallel imports, cheap Chinese stuff and trinkets. I checked their website but it is “under construction”. I have not tried any other grabbers. I keep buying these and giving them away.

6 Likes

Try calling your local Council and ask them which ones they use and where they buy them.

Some years ago, a Council staff member who was picking up rubbish in the CBD gave my wife one which was a quality product.

Our Council mowers all have a rubbish sack and a grabber on board so that thay can easily pick up rubbish disgarded by grubs as they mow the median strips and the reserves.

4 Likes

King Kong grabbers - pink is the old one.

6 Likes

It all comes down to what form factor you want. We bought one from Aldi which folds in half, and has soft cups on both fingers.

Have a look at the range of grabber sticks available on Google and take your pick.

From the pictures I can’t see any advantage in buying from the disability or work safety stores. You can buy cheapies which look very similar for much less $, and you could replace them several times for the same total cost.

5 Likes

I have this one which I think I bought from Aldi some years ago. Price was about the same… Its been reliable and the hook on the end of mine isnt magnetic but its handy for hooking things. I’ve been able to pick up even 5c coins with the grabbing part. I like it.

3 Likes

The other option is to get a piece of dowel (say 25mm) or walking stick, drill a hole in the end and (construction) glue a galvanised nail in the end (point out) so it looks a bit like a tent pole. One can stab rubbish, pick it up and side it along the edge of a bag/bin to remove it. It can be made shorter to make it easier to carry…or longer if one wants no to bend over.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Thomas96

Thank you for the topic.
We are continually having to pick up rubbish from along our 700m verge. The penny dropped with your enquiry that as I get a little older and stiffer, a grabber needs to go on the mower, and when walking the fence line. I currently carry a bag, stop and get off as part of an unplanned yoga exercise. Unfortunately our local council mowing contractor is paid by the metre mown, and not the rubbish collected.

As for the irresponsible and carefree citizens who find the nearby bush track a convenient dumping ground. The 4 in 1 bucket on the tractor is the most useful grabber. For their rubbish that is, although another thought can occur. :rage:

3 Likes