Range hoods ducted v filter

Looking to install a range hood. I only cook for 1 and have two windows in my kitchen. Would it be worth getting a ducted range hood or would a filter range hood suffice? Can anyone advise please. TIA. Doreen

4 Likes

@Doreen Welcome to the Community and thank you for the great question.

Ducted definitely from our experience, the filters just aren’t enough particularly for a smokey situation. We have had both and only go with ducted now. We also ensure it isn’t just ducted into the roof cavity, we ensure it vents to the outside.

Others may have different opinions and experience, ducted normally is more expensive to have done as it requires the vent as well as filters and the obvious holes that need to be cut to pass the vent through (and the outlet cover on the outside and making it weatherproof). It may also depend on where you have the area you need it in as to whether you can get it ducted properly or not.

4 Likes

Choice tested some range hoods in both ducted and recirculating modes [member content] as well as published a buyer guide. You can start on this page.

5 Likes

Agree, ducted if possible. Sometimes it isn’t, so one has to take the filter option and have filtered air re-enter the kitchen.

3 Likes

Thank you - can do ducted so think that’s the way to go.:grin:

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. A good question.

Following on from what the others have said, whether it is imperative or not duct also depends on what you cook.

We bought a home with a recirculated range hood, and it took a lot of scrubbing to clean out the previous owners’ fat residues from the hood, and from the area where it vented. It was a significant fire hazard, and I am glad that it didn’t catch alight.

Therefore, the more foods you cook that are oily or fatty, the more important it is to vent outside in my opinion.

3 Likes

Decided to go with vented and thanks for your comment. I’m sure they only work if you take care of them - I just bought my house in May and cleaning the heat pump, cooker and shower was hard. Now had my kitchen decorated hence looking to install a range hood. Open plan house so be good to get rid of cooking smells. So pleased with this forum - you people are so onformed🤣

5 Likes

I think you will be pleased with your decision. My home had non ducted and due to very high ceiling I was worried about the aesthetics. I ended up having it ducted through the wall to the top of my walk in wardrobe and clever tradesman created a box cover to the ceiling. Results; quieter, more efficient, fast removal of steam, odours and grease.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have a gorgeous Cathedral ceiling but cooker is against an outside wall so can be ducted out.

2 Likes