Microwave review

In the East Asian market, MWs with turntables rare. Flat bottoms & drop down doors are the main products. I don’t recall if Choice has found any significant differences as a group, with MW performance with turntables vs flat bottoms.
As you’d expect, many more steam combo’s there. I liked the idea of the 350C superheated steam, but have never seen it in Australia.

3 Likes

Check this link out . It will take you to a retailer called Appliances Online . I rate them highly . They have steam Microwaves /

2 Likes

Our microwave review is updated for 2019 (member content).

4 Likes

Hot tip, this microwave from Kmart is 10x cheaper than some of the big-name models, yet performs just as well:

5 Likes

… that’s almost a ‘dad joke’ :wink:

Good timing though, I’m interested in a new microwave now my 30+ year old unit is fading …

6 Likes

Geez, now I’m making them unintentionally :laughing:

4 Likes

We are looking to buy a new microwave, so this review was of great interest. However, the LG MS4296OBC was too wide (59cm) for our opening. There was a similar model listed (LG MS4296OSS) that suited, so I went to the LG website to compare these models.

After comparing specs and downloading the manual, according to LG, these models are identical, apart from the colour of the housing and the tint of the door (Which was noted in the review).

According to Choice, these models have quite different performance in energy use, cooking scores and dimensions. LG make 6 variants of the MS4296Oxxx, all identical apart from the colour/materials used in the housing and the door, and the price.

Perhaps Choice could run their fact checkers over this review again, and clarify whether the MS4296OBC is 59cm wide or 54.4, as stated by LG, and explain the different performance of these (claimed by LG to be) identical machines?

5 Likes

Interesting. I too was perplexed (@BrendanMays & @jhook) at the rating variations for the facia variants of the LG MS4296 microwaves.

Also, there is a white one, the MS4296OSW which was not mentioned. I wasn’t sure if it aligned with the OBC or the OSS.

Could you please help clarify what may have occurred to cause these rating variations?

PS There is only one outlet for the LG MS4296OBC according to the LG website, and although it is being advertised as on sale, it is NOT available if you try to order it.

{Edit: spoke to the retailer, and they are completely out of stock. The contact thought that due to the volume of demand during the sale, their website hasn’t caught up and is still shows the product as available.}

7 Likes

Hi @shockey, thanks for your questions and welcome to the Community! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

We’ve had a look over review and found error in our information. We’ve corrected the measurements on our reviews page - the correct measurements are 31 x 54 x 43 (cm) - sorry for any inconvenience.

In regards to variation in performance, the performance results can be slightly different as we didn’t test them at the same time (we tested the MS42960SS in September 2016 and the MS42960BC in November 2017) and it’s normal for cooking scores to vary slightly. They are all within our acceptable variation levels.

Ease of use variation is due to the extra attention required when cleaning based on the material and there are slightly more crevices to trap residue.

Additionally, the light for interior viewing may have changed to be brighter in later models, so this may have impacted the different energy usage scores.

We hope this information is useful for you. If you have any more questions about the models in our test, please let me know and I’ll see if our testers can provide more info.

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanations @jhook

For reader clarity it would assist if the test dates were clearly displayed in the item summaries, to indicate tests were done at different times. The absence of dates would indicate all the tests were done in preparation for the review.

This would also give an indication of the age of the item, and go some way to explaining why a reviewed model may no no longer be available.

7 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up from me too. I managed to find purchase the MS4296OBC from Myers. So far it has been working well.

While the latest tests on Microwave Ovens in the October Choice was up to its usual comprehensive and high standard, I would have liked to have seen listed, whether or not the tested ovens were of Inverter technology, which is an important buying feature in my view.
Inverter Microwave ovens are much more efficient in controlling the power output, as opposed to those without this technology. Non-inverter ovens operate in the same way as a simmerstat on an electric cooktop operates. The power to the hotplates is turned off and on at intervals, depending on the heat settings. In an inverter oven the output power is continuous, and varies in accordance with the power setting.
Inverter technology is used in modern air-conditioners for the same reasons as it is used in microwave ovens, and that is to better and more efficiently control the temperature.

7 Likes

Panasonic is overpriced for a poor quality product

This microwave oven performs adequately. The only issue is that rust forms within the cavity after about two years. We bought this microwave through Winning Appliances. The first unit was replaced, as goodwill by Winning Appliances outside the warranty due to rust appearing on the inside of the door

. I got the replacement unit in July 2018. We recently discovered rust forming under the platter in the cavity of the microwave . On both occasions, we approached Panasonic about the issue. Their latest reply is similar to the one 2 years ago:

"Thank you for your email with attached photos.

Your case has been reviewed by our technical team and mentioned that rust or peeling paint as shown in the supplied photos is not a product of the manufacturing process and usually occurs due to a number of reasons that are beyond the control of Panasonic."

On querying what constitutes reasons beyond the control of Panasonic, I was referred to Page 18 of the manual which covers cleaning the oven

. We regularly clean the oven. However, Panasonic reckons after viewing photos sent that the cleaning was inadequate. Similar experiences have been expressed by other reviewers on this and other models of Panasonic microwave ovens on ProductReview.com.au.

I have another Panasonic microwave oven (at another property) that was purchased in 2006 and still works without missing a beat. There are no rust issues on this oven. The big difference is that the older oven has a white enamel-like interior finish. The new ovens have a metallic painted finish. This I believe is prone to rust.

It is totally unreasonable for Panasonic to rely on the quality of the consumer’s cleaning, which has a very wide interpretation, to justify a defective and cheap finish on newer microwaves. Panasonic cannot demand a premium with this sort of quality issue.

Update:
28 Oct 20 - I had previously reported to my Winning Appliance representative about the reply I got from Panasonic. He suggested I contact the Head Office Customer Experience team. I called them today to explain the case. The representative felt it was a bit silly to rely on cleaning as an excuse for the rust problems. After consulting with her seniors, there was not much they could do in this matter as I had already had a microwave previously replaced.

I then contacted Panasonic customer service by phone. The initial Panasonic representative listened to the rust problems I had with the microwave but proceeded to say that as their engineers have already assessed that the issue is beyond the control of Panasonic, there not much he can do. He also explained that the painted surface can be damaged by scratching like a food particle stuck under the platter. This would not explain the rusting on the door that a previous unit had and the current unit is beginning to develop. He also offered to have his supervisor call me so that I can present my case. The supervisor called me and I presented my case. He again told me firmly but politely, that as Panasonic engineers have deemed that the rusting is due to factors beyond their control, he has to go by their engineer’s assessment. It seemed like Panasonic was Judge, Jury, and Executioner in this matter.

In conclusion, Panasonic seems to have an edge here against customers in the wide interpretation of the obligation for the customer to keep the microwave clean. I believe the metallic finish is not durable and is prone to rust if scratched in some form e.g. food particles, dirt on wipe cloth. I find it incredible that a product can be designed in a domestic situation that makes such demands on cleanliness for the product to last. I feel from my experience that painted finish in microwaves is not meant to last and a white enamel finish for the cavity is more durable.

5 Likes

You seem to have done the usual things and have been knocked back on each occasion but it also appears your mode of contact is what I call ‘idle chit chat’ in the scheme of your rights under the Australian Consumer Law.

You will find many links to the Choice advice article, the ACCC ACL pages, and the tools to write a formal ‘letter of complaint’. Note the letter has specific requirements for inclusion and no shortcuts should be taken and nothing omitted. Use the forum search function to find them.

I also have a 2010 Panasonic microwave with an off white enamel interior that is in perfect condition. It gets a wipe after spatters and once every few weeks. We use a microwave dish cover every time. Sometimes there is a lot of moisture buildup on the inside of the door; I’ll leave the door ajar for a few minutes or wipe it when that happens. That buildup may be what is causing rust in the newer models? It might not be the paint per se, but the finish technique that allows moisture to penetrate along the edge?

It appears you have done your homework, and while I cannot comment on cleaning you could make your case based on advertising claims and consumer reviews that a microwave should last more than 2 years, although Panasonic/Winning might claim it still works as a microwave and it is only a cosmetic problem. Winning ‘owns’ your problem, not Panasonic, so you need to put the onus on them to sort it. Going formal often elicits a different process than ‘idle chit chat’, and that trail can be evidence should the customer go to Fair Trading with a complaint whereas idle chit chat usually cannot since there is no formal record of exchanges.

Whether you get satisfaction will be another matter as it may be argued. Worst case if they do not respond well and you are not able to replace the microwave, sand the rust, treat the area with rust neutraliser, and coat it with oven paint or another suitable for the food areas.

If you press on, please let us know how it goes.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your advice makes complete sense. The last time I was fobbed off by Panasonic, I submitted a complaint through the NSW Dept of Fair Trading on the grounds that a consumer should reasonably expect a product to last more than 2 years. This resulted in Winning Appliances contacting me. Although reluctant initially at head office, the rep who dealt with my order at the branch arranged a replacement. I think complaining through the Dept of Fair Trading formalises the process.

6 Likes

I have a Sharp, it must be 12 years old or more - it gets a clean once or twice a year, ‘whether it needs it or not’ :wink: There have been times when I’ve needed to let the interior soak up some spray for a while before the crud will lift - safe, don’t microwaves kill all the bad stuff? It is so old, the display has stopped working, but with the help of an manual I know which button and how many times to press to get the desired function. We use it to defrost, cook, etc - it sees plenty of steam …

On the rare occasion I clean it - it comes out clean as a whistle (an interesting term these days in a pandemic where few would share a whistle, but I digress …) - no sign of even staining, let alone rust or corrosion.

Rusting after two years? unacceptable in my opinion.

Note your manual says ‘the oven should be cleaned regularly’ - noting that ‘regularly’ refers to a pattern, or uniform intervals of time, not ‘often’ necessarily and as such ambiguous but in your favour in my view. For example, it could be said that Halley’s Comet visits our easily visible celestial proximity ‘regularly’ … though it is probably wise to clean a microwave oven at a higher frequency than every 75 or so years.

I agree with @PhilT - give them a hard time through fair trading and let us know how it progresses.

4 Likes

Our Sharp from around 2000 had the same fault. Same solution.

We now have a Panasonic!
I’ve been informed it’s not self cleaning. :rofl:

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

3 Likes

I have always purchased ones with stainless steel interiors since we once purchased a white interior one only to find after about 12 months of very regular usage that the white coating was starting to bubble in the areas near the vent and thus was tossed.

Steam generated seems to be the major culprit and we no longer risk this with a stainless interior. Steam doesn’t affect the interior now and a quick paper towel or cotton towel wipe out is all that is needed beyond an infrequent “deep” clean. Also we noticed staining was an issue with the coated interior.

Reasons for MW replacement since the white one has been 1 theft and 1 flood, so 2 replacements in 20 years. Current one since 2011 floods so nearly 9 years…it is a Panasonic Convection Microwave combo.

1 Like

Likewise.

We bought our first one, a Sharp convection one in 1995 and gave it to Lifeline when we sold our previous residence in 2014.

When we bought our current residence in 2015, we bought a LG convection one which has had no problems.

I take the glass turntable and clean it in the sink and then wipe the stainless steel interior with a damp sponge with a smidgeon of dishwashing liquid.

2 Likes