Microwave review

FWIW I had a look at my Panasonic microwave and the glass in the door has a molded plastic surround - nothing that could rust! The bottom tray is also a single stamped piece. It appears from your photo they changed the design for the worse.

2 Likes

That is correct. This is the same with my Panasonic microwave which I bought in 2006. As mentioned, it is going strong and has not got a single blemish. I believe the current metallic finish is a design flaw and is not meant to last under normal domestic usage. I have now put in a complaint through the Dept of Fair Trading on the grounds that the product is not of acceptable quality and is not durable for normal domestic purposes. Will keep you posted on this forum on the outcome.

4 Likes

I am happy to report to this discussion thread that yesterday I took delivery of a new microwave from Winnings Appliance as a replacement to the rusting Panasonic one I mentioned above. Winnings Appliance took away the old microwave. This time I went for an LG replacement. Though slightly smaller (27l vs 32l for the Panasonic), it comes with a 2-year warranty as opposed to Panasonic’s 1 year.

Thanks to the advice of PhilT, I went through the complaints system of the NSW Department of Fair Trading. They called me to confirm the issue was still outstanding. I told them that Winnings were not prepared to resolve the issue when approached and that I was happy to take a store credit to buy another model and made it clear I did not want the same Panasonic model as a replacement. The Fair Trading staff member told me that she will call Winnings and explain to them their obligation under Consumer Law. On the very same day, Winnings Appliance came to the party offering a replacement or store credit.

It’s a pity it has taken this involved process, and during this time, I could have been operating an unsafe microwave.

6 Likes

Thanks for closing the loop. It is always terrific to hear about [another] good consumer outcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Half my post in another topic is relevant here.

Me too. I steam veggies in the microwave, and reheat meals but meat? Nope. Skillet. (nonstick Sunbeam Diamond something. It works. never need to add oil or butter)