Purchase Receipts

I recently purchased some work boots (in a physical store) for general use around the house. When I made the purchase I was asked if I wanted an electronic receipt. Not wanting to be on yet another spam list, I refused. I was then given the credit card receipt. A couple of days later, I needed to change the item for one size larger. Upon trying to make the exchange, I was told they would only accept an electronic receipt to undertake the exchange. The only proof I had was the credit card receipt (which shows the date, company and amount). Should the store have issued a physical receipt at time of purchase?
I would be interested if anyone else has had this problem.

2 Likes

Business don’t need to issue a physical receipt. Business can chose to offer digital/electronic, hand written or printed receipts. A customer can also chose whether they want to receive a receipt, but as you have unfortunately found out, not doing so may impact one in the case of exchanging a product.

Receipts are one form of proof of purchase. Other examples of proof of purchase are outlined on the ACCC website:

However, since you are making an exchange, a business can nominate what proof of purchase they will accept for the exchange. In your case it appears that the business in question choses only to make exchanges when a receipt issued by them is provided.

While they have the right to do such, it isn’t good customer service/relations to not accept other forms of proof of purchase.

This other thread also discusses whether receipts need to be issued:

which may also have some useful information for you.

1 Like

Noting a size issue would be under a change of mind, not product problem, the shop can dictate whatever T&C it wishes.

However, from the ACCC page @phb linked: (my bolding)

Businesses can ask for proof of purchase before repairing, replacing or refunding

If a consumer requests a repair, replacement or refund, the business can ask for a receipt or another form of proof of purchase.

Other forms of proof of purchase include a:

• credit or debit card statement
  • lay-by agreement
  • receipt number or reference number given over the phone or internet
  • warranty card with details of the manufacturer or supplier, date and amount of purchase
  • serial or production number linked with the purchase on the supplier’s or manufacturer’s database.

The consumer may need to provide more than one of these things.

The law doesn’t give a definition of how much proof is enough – the consumer just needs to reasonably demonstrate that they bought the item.

If your exchange is allowed under change of mind take that information to the shop and if they don’t allow the exchange, assuming the boots remain unworn as new, make a complaint to your state fair trading office for assistance. I think the shop is out of line even considering the caveats of ‘how much is enough’. Your card receipt should reasonably demonstrate you bought the item by price match, and it should have codes that can link it to a shop transaction.

1 Like

Unfortunately as outlined above, a exchange (or change of mind) falls outside the Australian Consumer Law and a business can chose the conditions relating to how and when it will accept exchanges or change in mind. Wanting a larger size fits under a change of mind.

While the ACCC nominates examples of what are proof of purchase, a business can nominate what specific forms it will accept for an exchange/change of mind. A consumer needs to understand any change of mind policy if they think that they may need to take the product back for an exchange or refund in the future.

Taking it further to the office of fair trading won’t provide a different outcome.

If the product had a major or minor fault, then the provisions of the ACL would apply and a business is required to accept any forms of proof of purchase.

1 Like

The business could back down or push back. Nothing ventured nothing gained as the requirement for a digital receipt and their process of not always providing that or a hardcopy, or advising the customer they may need one, could be questioned in other ways.

It will be a waste of time.

The business will say they require a receipt for change of minds. The Office of Fair Trading will say okay if that is what you need. Customer didn’t have or accept one when offered, then the business has the right to refuse the exchange/change in mind.

It is however likely the Office will say that since it falls outside the ACL, they won’t hear the complaint.

Bullying a business into accepting something when they otherwise wouldn’t, won’t change the outcome. All it will do is give one additional stress for no gain.

As outlined above,

One needs to understand a stores change in mind policy, if they think it msy need to be used.

Could be considering the letter of the law, but that is not always how it eventuates. If @allant takes any further step(s) I hope any outcome, + or -, will get added here.

Seeking reasonable accommodation for what may be construed as an unreasonable requirement is another way to view it.

My goal is to give consumers possible options, not to justify a business’ behaviour even when it may be ‘the letter of the law’.

Advising to go to the Office of Fair Trading is inappropriate as change of mind policies fall outside their jurisdiction. Office of Fair Trading assist consumers which upholding their rights under the Australian Consumer Law (and likewise for renters in some states).

As the Office plays an important role in consumers exercising their ACL rights. Their time shouldn’t be wasted by a consumer in an attempt to bully or badger a business in accepting what a consumer thinks should be accepted outside their change of mind policy. If a consumer does contact them, as I indicated above, they are likely to advise that a business can nominate conditions which a consumer needs to satisfy or order to meet a businesses change of mind policy (this information is presented on some of the Office of Fair Trading websites). They are also likely to provide the advice that the complaint is outside their jurisdiction.

It is also worth noting a business isn’t obliged to have a change of mind policy and can reasonably refuse a customer’s request when it is a change of mind. In the case of the business, they appear to have a change of mind policy and to satisfy it, one needs to have a copy of the receipt. A business offered to provide a receipt at the point of purchase but this was declined by the customer.

1 Like

Thank you to all for your replies. It is not my intention to take the matter any further. Next time, I shall ask for an acceptable receipt.

3 Likes

The store asked you if you wanted a receipt. You said no.

Now when I am asked whether I want a receipt, I always say yes. If the offer is an electronic receipt I say no, I want a printed one, or hand written if it has to be that way.

If the store offers no receipt by default, I demand one.

Always, always, get a receipt.

1 Like

I have shopped in MANY stores and I have never had them refuse to give me a printed receipt. They have offered me electronic receipts and when I say no, they give me a printed receipt. Sounds like the store you went to is not good on customer service.