Pulse charger

Whether you can get any joy from the vendor remains to be seen.

I agree with those who say the design is poor, the idea of two relatively sizeable devices being fastened together through an inflexible plug/socket jumps out at me as something I would not want to go near, any movement of either one will stress the join and shorten the life of one or the other, or both. The USB key plugged directly into a device does not suffer the same stress.

Why you would do away with cables that avoid that problem escapes me - it is just bad engineering, it isn’t as though the designer can make a bigger stronger socket and plug to cope.

One of the weaknesses that can limit the life of phones, tablets and similar devices is charging socket failure. These can be quite expensive to replace in comparison to the cost of the gadget so not taking care of your sockets is quite unwise.

4 Likes

I think the cables are done away with because it is more convenient. Having a back-up battery attached to a device saves one the need to worry about a meter or more of cable.

It is trying to provide a solution to a problem, where the solution may create its own problems.

There are a range of devices that connect directly to a microUSB or a USB C port on a phone. We have a USB C to HDMI adapter which also has a rigid connection and was used for running lectures from a tablet computer. Like the Pulse Charger, they aren’t designed to take any force other than the weight of the connector. I suspect that a reasonable bump would either break the connector or the USB C port within the tablet.

Another thought, what does the user manual with the Pulse Charge Gravity say about its use. Does it warn users of taking care when inserted to prevent the port or connector being damaged? It is likely since the Pulse Charge website states ‘This 30-Day Guarantee will not however cover damage caused through misuse of your Pulse Charge. i.e., if you bend or snap the tip off your charger, this will not be covered.

The final point I plan to make is that some ‘As Seen on TV’ type products are heavily marketed on TV for a reason. Often they don’t have a market for the product or it is a product which has little need. In this case it could be a product which was a good idea in practice, a poor one in execution. A bit like the Reliant Robin - just because it can be done doesn’t mean it is a good idea.

1 Like

There are 100mm USB cables. A cable of any length could be designed as hard wired to the charger to make it more ‘light weight’ than having a plug and socket style although the flex point where that cable met the charger would be a probable point of failure from flexing. Designing a storage on the charger for a short cable? Done by others.

1 Like

I realised that, but having a battery dangling on a 100mm cable when trying to make a call would be significantly more inconvenient than the product in question. The attractiveness of the Pulse Charger would be phone’s use when connected.

A longer cable allows the battery in the bag/pocket without anything of weight dangling.

You may be right, that was the what went through the designer’s mind. The trouble is nobody told them it was a brain fart not a revelation. It will be interesting to see how long such batteries last in the market.

How convenient is it to be without your device or the charger because it is busted due to this design?

It is cheap and easy to keep a spare cable with your battery recharger, why would you have one and not?

Depends if you use ear buds and goes hands free all the time, so none of it is in one’s hands. Or if one would normally charge while not in use, although that could be a fiddly decision at the moment.

It does sound like the product supplier acknowledging this is a known point of failure and risk.

I wonder how the Choice review team might assess the suitability of using the charging socket to support the Pulse Charge?

• Is it good or poor design?
  • Is it a good point that adds convenience?
  • Is it a bad point that increases the risks of damaging the Charger and or the mobile phone given reasonable care in everyday use?
1 Like

Thx

1 Like

Hi. Perhaps you may want to edit your post. To hide your email address. :wink:

Could be. It is no different to phone companies saying screen damage or car manufacturers saying tyre punctures not covered by warranty.

Are you saying that tyres that can be punctured or screens that can break are design faults?

No. What I am saying is if a phone or tyre has excessive force applied to it, it will fail or be damaged.

If the Pulse Charger connection broke through normal use, that being dangling under the phone when making a call, it would clear cut as being poor design or a faulty product under the ACL. But we aren’t talking about normal use. We are talking about damage caused by a bag strap catching on the device/phone when a bag was lifted.

From the information provided, a force was applied to the phone/Pulse Charger. This force possibly could be considered excessive as when one lifts a bag, usually they aren’t lifted slowly and carefully.

Should the connector be able to survive the excessive force applied. I don’t know and no one within the community would be able to say it should as we don’t know what force was applied or the design strength of the connector.

What we do know is that excessive force was applied which caused the connector to break. The balance of probability, without other information, indicates that it is the force applied which is the issue and most likely cause the connector to fail.

This is supported by the fact that there hasn’t been online reviews of the product indicating that it is a common point of failure through normal use. Yes, it is a relatively new product on the market, but being advertised on TV as a ‘seen on TV product’ there would likely have been good sales and opportunity for others to provide feedback on the quality of the device.

If we compare it to say a phone. Manufactures often state that screen damage isn’t covered by warranty. If a phone was being used and the screen broke for no reason, one would conclude that the phone was or poor design or there was a fault with the product.

If one was using the phone and dropped it, and the screen broke, would one expect that the screen should be covered by warranty. One could try and argue that a phone screen dropped from say 1.5-2m metre should be covered as it is the normal height of use. But, dropping a phone isn’t normal use and why it is excluded under warranties and could be considered ‘misuse’ under the ACL.

Likewise with the Pulse Charger, the damage wasn’t caused by normal use and because of this, it would most likely be classed as ‘misuse’ under the ACL.

If in the future there were online reviews or a product test by a reputable organisation that indicated that the product was of poor design or the connector was extreme weak, then the probability shifts toward the product being faulty of poor design and one might be able to argue that they believe that the force exerted on the connector wasn’t excessive and the connector shouldn’t have broken. This isn’t the case where we are today.

A scan of similar products shows that most of them have what seem to be reinforced metal surround plugs or use wires. Of the former, 2 random products of many all with similar construction.

It is not obvious if the second has its plug cushioned in a robber grommet or is hard mounted. In either case they appear more robust than a naked plug. A similar image of a Pulse Charger (prior to being broken) would be interesting.

There are some with naked plugs so the Pulse Charger is not unique. Many good reviews on this last one from Japan, but a few comment on the fragility and some broke.

1 Like

The top two aren’t similar products. The photograph of the Pulse Charge above shows a Apple Lightning connector, these ones are USB Cs.

The bottom photo is a Apple Lightning connector which shows the design isn’t unique and you have indicated that the one with a similar connectors has good reviews.

It does suggest that there is a possibility the connector wasn’t of poor quality or design - if it is of similar standard to the Japanese one.

2 Likes

I have another pulse charger boxed up for Xmas for my daughter. It was a duo pack. I’ll unwrap and post a picture.

1 Like

3 Likes

Thanks for that. As a long ago engineering type I would hope the plug is in a rubber grommet so it is not rigid, but keeping manufacturing costs down might have resulted in it being cast as the hard plastic case, making the plug more fragile than if in a more flexible package. If it is in a soft mount that is what can be done in the form factor.

At the least I hope your topic has been educational in at least one product characteristic to advise your next purchase.

3 Likes

Thanks Phil. You’ve helped me a lot with your expertise.
I will be wary of purchasing those type of items from now on.
It wasn’t cheap, being a pensioner and a day to day consumer, I hope my review on this product helps others to think before they buy.

4 Likes

For iPhones there are cases that are battery packs as well, this avoids the dangling battery issue. I am not sure which model iPhone you have but searching for a pack may provide a suitable result. Purely as examples of some and not any recommendation

If the iPhone supports the MagSafe charging then there are Apple MagSafe batteries that can be purchased and used. The Apple Store has removed the batteries from sale but they are able to be purchased from other retailers e.g. Officeworks or Amazon

2 Likes

For products using the Lightning connector note it’s an Apple design. Apple offer the following advice re counterfeit products and certification for consumers purchasing any device or cable which uses the connection.

The absence of the labelling with a product leaves it to the purchasing consumer to decide if use of the third party product risks physical or electrically damaging the connected Apple device.

3 Likes