Problems with Nick Scali Furniture 2017-2021

Hi @RodJ,

That seems Nick Scali style of business. They have fobbed you off pure and simple. You should read your rights about the Australian Consumer Law and send Nick Scali management a formal Letter of Complaint enumerating your experience, stating why it is a major failure (number of times repaired) and what you want and by when. cc your state consumer affairs office. You might remind them Harvey Norman franchisees have been fined non-trivial sums for fobbing off their customers, as Nick Scali seems to have been fobbing you off. Reading this thread from the beginning might also be helpful to you.

Whether or not you go for your rights please let us know how you go.

6 Likes

That’s exactly right. This matter of the head office handling it is not to give better service by using staff more skilled at resolving problems, they are more skilled at stone-walling and fobbing-off. Their chief attribute is a thick skin.

The business model is to not hold stock but to build on order. Once it has been delivered if there is a quality issue with the basic design or with the particular build they don’t want to know you.

4 Likes

I bought a SOHO table from Nick Scali just 2 weeks ago. Today the price reduced by $300. Then I asked the customer service, they simply said that is it, I’m unlucky. Alright, I got it, whatever I bought from Nick Scali, there would be a chance that the price would be reduced significantly in a near future. So why did I put so much into the furniture which do not deserve the price anyway? I feel that I have been ripped and I don’t recommend anyone to purchase from Nick Scali. If you really like the furniture, remember to negotiate the price with them, bearing in mind that the price will be reduced anyway after you bought them!!! (Tip: at lease negotiate $300 off the price they mark)

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Paul725

I moved your post to this old thread dedicated to Nick Scali issues.

While that is cause for anyone to become unhappy, it happens at many businesses and is often ‘luck of the draw’ whether a purchase is followed by a sale.

Some are up front that if they drop their price within (eg) 30-days they will refund the difference, and others will not as a sale is a sale to them. It is always useful to check on a business’s “own-sale matching” policy prior to purchasing products, especially those that are expensive.

You are entitled to state your opinion, but in honesty if it was not worth the value why would you have purchased it, although you might be correct in your assertion.

That is good advice when shopping at any furniture shop, as well as for electronics, appliances, vehicles, and most other things.

There are seasons when price drops (sales) are predictable. Weeks before Christmas, and often the price goes up just before Christmas as panic buying sets in, and then dropping again for the Boxing Day sales. Another predictable period is EOFY where many shops are trying to sell their merchandise before 30 June for tax reasons.

edit: a relevant Choice article

5 Likes

In regards to negotiation of prices for items, if a member of CHOICE you can use their shopping service (CHOICE Shopper) to see what price they can get for you. The item must be worth $100 or more to use the service and for cars they put you in contact with one of their brokers. The link explains all the terms and conditions but it is one of the many perks of being a CHOICE member.

5 Likes

I purchased 2 lounge suites with electric head and leg extensions approx 2 years ago valued at $11k. I have had nothing but issues with the motors. Within the first couple of months the first motor went, then shortly after another motor. I asked for a replacement sofa as this was unacceptable as brand new. I spoke to the state manager and he would not even consider it. About 2 months ago another motor went and was replaced, then a week later the motor went again. I have had no customer service and I am furious. My warranty runs out in July, so I will be exposed. Not happy at all with the service or product. Honestly it has been the worse experience. They really do not care, to pay that much and to have countless issues since purchase and for them to not even replace it, considering how many times motors have needed replacing is disgusting. So please be very careful.

I also posted on their FB which is managed by them and never saw the light of day.

5 Likes

Hi @Mird, welcome to the community.

I have moved your post to an existing Nick Scali thread where some other community members have reported issues with Nich Scali’s furniture.

Simply, you should be entitled to a refund or replacement under the Australian Consumer Law. It appears the sofas have a major fault (in its design, adequacy of its motors, or the failing motors) and can’t be repaired to remove this fault.

This website outlines your rights

I would be going back to Nick Scali State Manager in writing:

• outling the history of the motors/sofa,
  • Nick Scali has attempted to repair/resolve the issue on numerous occasions and failed.
  • under the Australian Consumer Law the motor ongoing problem is a major fault.
  • under the ACL you are entitled to a refund (or replacement if you chose
but personally, there is something wrong with the sofa model if yours can’t be repaired).
  • Also state you have made Choice aware of your problem.
  • you will be taking the matter to your State Government office of fair trading if Nick Scali does not meet its responsibilities under the ACL.

Make sure the correspondence is professional in nature (namely without emotion) and say they have 7 days to respond before you will escalate the issue.

Also ask for them to collect your defective sofas.

Let us know how you get on.

Note: the ACL overrides any manufacturer’s warranty so don’t worry that July is fast approaching.

7 Likes

As @phb said, other forum members have posted about their issues with Nick Scali Furniture.

Reading the preceding posts may give you more of an understanding on how NSF operate, and how to deal with your situation.

6 Likes

You can also post a negative review on ProductReview.com.au detailing your experiences. Even better when doing so is if you can supply a copy of proof of purchase as it is then ranked as verified. You can also publically post your issue on your Facebook page, just stick to the facts and don’t use emotional or abusive language and it will be hard for NS to have anything done.

6 Likes

Thank you much appreciated

5 Likes

Yes I actually did that but because they control the site, it never gets published publicly. When they say posted it is not.

5 Likes

Sorry I meant publish it as a public post on your Facebook page not NS’s .

6 Likes

Oh gotcha thank you.

What a joke they are seriously.

6 Likes

OT from the furniture issues, but on topic for the company their customers have to deal with.

Guardian Australia has reported some companies that received jobkeeper cash have, at the same time, paid hefty dividends to shareholders – including about $2.5m that furniture group Nick Scali paid to its managing director, Anthony Scali.

‘Dividendkeeper’!

5 Likes

We bought a lounge suite consisting of a 3 seater sofa with a manual recliner on either side and 2 electric recliner chairs from Amart in early 2014.

My wife sits in one of the chairs fully reclined every day with our little dog riding shotgun and it has never had a problem.

From what I have seen and heard of Nick Scali, I would not touch them with a barge pole.

As @grahroll suggested, why not give them a serve on Product Review?

Whilst their overall rating on Product Review is high, their 1 star reviews are absolutely scathing.

Nick Scali Furniture reviews | ProductReview.com.au

2 Likes

$170 to deliver a couch that took 11+ weeks to get here. They cannot even break down or remove the boxes. Paid a LOT less for delivery from other stores who cleaned up after themselves. I will NEVER buy from this pathetic company again.

6 Likes

It would help if you named the company so other members can compare it to their experiences and to forewarn others.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @jujouber

FWIW in recent times many companies have reduced delivery ‘services’ such as unpacking and taking boxes as part of their COVID-19 restrictions. Still $170 for delivery seems over the top no matter how ‘full service’ the service might have been unless you are a good ways outside ‘town’.

A couch in boxes? A flat pack or just protective cardboard and wrap?

That it would.

We recently bought a small freezer from TGG. In normal times it would have been unpacked, positioned, and plugged in. In metro Melbourne under current stage 4 they only brought it in the door where we had to unpack it and dispose of the materials. We were happy they were able to do even that.

7 Likes

The other useful information is how close to the retailer were you (next suburb, other side of city, next town, a long away away etc).

This will give an idea if the delivery cost was reasonable.

For example, we had a combo commercial washer/dryer delivered from Melbourne to Tassie, and the cost was $265. This might sound very steep until one realises the route it took to get here.

6 Likes

This is Nick Scali from Robina QLD. Can’t even blame covid here as we’re pretty unrestricted atm. Funny thing is we’ve bought beds and other pieces of furniture from other vendors around the Gold Coast, each and every other one took away their garbage. These clowns left huge cardboard boxes, plastic and foam strewn all over my driveway. Didn’t even have the decency to break the boxes down. Funny thing is Nick Scali charge significantly more for delivery than any of the others, yet provide the worst customer service of the lot

7 Likes