Pretend SES Scammers

I’ve just has a call from 02 8801 8106, I said Hello, they hung up.
Maybe a robocall?

Reverse Australia phone number lookup has this to say about that number:

Caller: National State Emergency Services Volunteers Association
This call seems to be conducted through a telemarketing organisation seeking donations. Calls are >directed to another number. This is a scam and not connected with the State Emergency Service.

However, there does appear to be a National State Emergency Services Volunteers Association:
https://www.nsesva.org.au/about

So maybe they are using a call centre looking for donations?

In any case it would appear that their fundraising authority has expired, or they have not updated it on their website

Charitable fundraising authority
Charitable fundraising numberCFN/24228
This document certifies thatNationalStateEmergencyServiceVolunteersAssociationLimitedholds an >authority to fundraising under section 13A of the Charitable Fundraising Act 1991, subject to compliance >with the Act, the Charitable Fundraising Regulation 2015and the conditions attached as Annexure A.

This authority is in force from 07/07/2016 until 06/07/2018 unless surrendered or revoked earlier.

This authority is approved under delegation from the Minister administering the Charitable >FundraisingAct 1991.

And since I am on the DNC register, they may be in contravention of this section:

(g)all direct marketing by phone complies with the Telecommunications (Do Not Call Register) (Telemarketing and Research Calls) Industry Standard 2007 of the Commonwealth.

7 Likes

I have done a quick search, and NSW & Vic both explicitly state that they do not cold call on behalf of the SES. IF they seek to collect funds it is only with uniformed staff who have ID.

It would seem that it is bogus.

8 Likes