Prescription Glasses Guarantee

I recently got some mulitfocal prescription glasses. After trying them for a couple of weeks I realise they’re heavy and that’s due to the glass being thicker than previous glasses. This is only my 2nd prescription glasses, if i’d known they’d be this heavy i would have got thinner ones.

Can I ask them to change them, even though the script is specifically for me?
Thanks

1 Like

You can ask and see what the optometrists policy is. Some optometrists have ability to make changes within short timeframes after prescription is filled.

It would also be seen as a change of mind under the Australian Consumer Law as it is extremely unlikely that an optometrist would sell glasses which were not fit for purpose because the lens was too thick, hence making them slightly heavier than a past prescription.

Also, if your prescription has changed from the last glasses, the lens thickness may be based on the prescription. The only way to get lighter glasses may be find frames which hold smaller lenses. Ask the optometrist what options exist to make the glasses lighter.

Also discuss if the existing glasses can be adjusted to make them sit differently so the they feel less heavy.

3 Likes

I have thin skin on the bridge of my nose so can only tolerate semiframeless and frameless glasses w/high index lenses (eg lightest possible weight) without having skin problems.

Even a semiframeless is usually too heavy but those models are far stronger than full frameless so keep a pair for sport. Replacing the standard nose pads with a very soft set is always a tremendous improvement on the ‘as delivered’ frames. Your optician should be happy to do that at N/C.

They do not provide the soft ones by default because they tend to turn green over time and need periodic replacement for cosmetic reasons or they get harder from age/absorbing skin oils, while the harder ones do not and the standard hardness suits most people.

1 Like

Contacts not possible?

1 Like

They are not for me for a number of reasons plus multifocal contacts introduce their own usability issues.

1 Like

Thanks. The script changed a bit, and I can use them for an hour or 2,but 4-5 hours is headache inducing.

2 Likes

That’s a good back up plan, thanks

4 Likes

Perhaps rather than the weight, the lenses are not quite right for you. Ask to have the Optometrist check the glasses on you to ensure the optical centres correspond to the location of your pupils, and also check that the lenses correspond to the script. They should be willing to do this at no cost.

Edit: If the lenses are all correct, ask to have your eyes tested again to confirm that the script is the best solution for you. (I have had lenses redone for free due to incorrect scripts.)

3 Likes

They may be able to offer high index lenses for the same prescription that are thinner and lighter ( and more expensive ). As prescriptions become stronger, higher index lenses offer more options.

With my latest multi-focals, I chose high index lenses as I wear them all day. I also have a second pair with tinted lenses as sunglasses but these have normal index lenses, as I don’t spend as much time wearing them and the greater weight is not an issue.

3 Likes

Keep in mind headaches can be caused by the prescription being slightly off, the lenses being slightly off, the weight of the glasses, the ‘sweet spots’ being off, or all of the above. Sometimes a new prescription will cause slight headaches for a few days or weeks until the wearer acclimates to them, especially if it is a change to progressive lenses. Sometimes the glasses are wrong for one or another reason, and some wearers don’t/won’t adapt to progressives so get headaches trying.

Even single vision lenses can cause headaches after wearing them for a time if they are off a minute bit.

2 Likes