Prepaid mobile disasters: ALDI and Woolworths

My husband and I are both with ALDImobile, we have been for years. We haven’t had any problems with it.

5 Likes

Hmmm …

3 Likes

@draughtrider, you should explain those coverage maps. They are incorrect and are more likely a misleading marketing misrepresentation than a useful comparison.

The brown colour on the map indicates 3G, while the bright green is 4G. Both Aldi and Telstra are the same on 4G. The more extensive 3G on the Telstra map suggests Telstra is withholding 3G from Aldi, but not 4G. That is obviously not correct.

The unbroken 3G coverage for Telstra across the Nullabor is actually the train line! The road across the Nullabor goes along the coast, where Telstra shows much more patchy 3G coverage. As an Aldi user, I know the coverage is not as bad as that map suggests.

As someone who helps their local community with IT issues, including phone issues, I know that Telstra is quietly turning off its 3G towers. I suspect the “Telstra” map is a historical picture of 3G towers from the past. Many have been replaced by 4G, but that is not apparent from either map. As Aldi resells Telstra 4G as well as 3G, both maps if they were true would be identical.

1 Like

I used the maps as found on the ALDI and Telstra sites to illustrate the difference in coverage - no further explanation is needed for the point I was making - of course there are many details that could be explained, including the difference between plots “created using tools that predict the likely areas of coverage” and those created from RF site surveys, but I doubt there was a need to explain “misleading marketing misrepresentation” even as a double negative :wink:

… moreover, a train line that has Telstra network coverage along most of it’s path across the Nulla … hence the pretty colours on the map.

Back to the original point, and to quote ALDI - “MEDION Australia Pty Ltd. (ABN 58 106 611 330) under the brand name ALDImobile uses part of Telstra’s 4G and 3G mobile network.” …

So whether Telstra and ALDI are misleading customers (probably true) and whether the network has changed substantially (possibly true, it is continually changing after all) and whether the maps are inaccurate to the extent they are useless (doubtful, probably varies by area as the network changes) it still remains that in some places where Telstra works fine, there simply is no ALDI.

6 Likes

Same for my husband and myself and when we began we were living in regional Victoria. have also recently used it overseas with the enabled international roaming. Very satisfied with Aldi mobile.

4 Likes

Typical Telstra - the article is more big on rhetoric, small on facts, with manipulation of the information they present.

2 Likes

I have two handsets on the Optus network through Moose Mobile. Very happy with pricing and service.

When travelling in remote areas, of course I wish I was on Telstra, but the cost outweighs the occasional benefit.

The only issue is with international roaming: if you want Moose to activate it, they ask for a $200 pre-payment. I had no problem with doing that, but others might baulk at it.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Telstra outages