Telstra outages

I just wonder what everyone thinks about telstras outage today across the mobile network. My mobile ceased and there was no coverage for a period of time but it finally came back on line after some time. Apparently that has happened before i was reading with outages via the mobile network. At first when it didnt work i was wondering if it was the phone but it wasn’t,

6 Likes

Heh I didn’t notice the outage - I was already on the work Wi-Fi by then. I wonder if the outage affected Telstra resellers-guessing it would have.

Another thumbs up for Aldi mobile here. While I’m a high volume user so on a $30/mo Boost plan, my wife turns her phone on about once a month, and loves the $15/year (yes that’s right, per YEAR) Aldi mobile plan.

6 Likes

My Telstra ADSL connection was down for 4 days, it affected businesses in my small town and the worst thing about it was that I couldn’t speak to a human. Just kept getting a recording. Very frustrating. And after 2 days I received a text message telling me the problem was fixed, when I got home it was not. Truly poor service.

4 Likes

Regardless, remember that ‘a fully charged mobile’ (and a mobile service that is up and running 24x7!) is ‘our’ backup for the NBN VOIP phone service.

Not only that but the PSTN phone booths are quickly becoming extinct everywhere so some people might not have any options when NBN falls over. I have been in Scotland for the past few weeks and it has been impressive how many phone booths are around the country, especially the sparsely populated areas. It suggests the UK government and telcos have a different set of priorities and relationships than purely partisan politics and a dollar in a pocket :frowning:

3 Likes

Yair. Well, the NBN wallies came by a couple of months ago and put their digger through my phone line. I wandered over to the bloke at the NBN van a day or so later after spending an inordinate amount of time trying to explain the problem to some telstra drone in India. The young feller rang his boss who rang me later that day to apologise and to inform me that a technician would be around later that day to repair the broken telephone line. The broken wires were re-spliced in a timely manner but the phone apparently had been automatically disconnected by telstra at the exchange, or whatever passes for an exchange these days. So I rang telstra again (on my better half’s wireless telephone) and went through the same dragged out, frustrating business of explaining the problem again and explaining that the broken wires had been fixed by the company that broke them. The drone informed me in contextually mangled English that he would get someone to look at the matter (not the problem) and call me ‘later’. A day or so ‘later’ a woman from India called me back to inform me that the problem would be rectified… wait for it… within ONE MONTH of this call. One month to flick a switch or press a button!!!.. THE NBN CONTRACTORS WIRED UP THE WHOLE DAMNED TOWN IN A MONTH!!! I have a few more things to say about this monstrously ineffective behemoth but I doubt if they will serve any useful purpose. But I will tell you one thing and that is that just as soon as I am able, I will ditch telstra. PS. you will note that I have not treated the name ‘telstra’ as a proper noun. I refuse to dignify them.

4 Likes

Trouble is they make you sign a complex contract that makes you give up most of your rights and indemnifies them from prosecution for wrecking your life, losing business, and wasting your precious time, so they don’t have to care. They are also protected by a Gov’t watchdog that refuses to do it’s job, and a Gov’t that no longer protects it’s citizens.

3 Likes

Received my monthly Telstra bill yesterday - with an unexpected and unexplained $14 discount. Assumed it was compensation.

2 Likes