Potting Mixtures are Useless

Another one of my bugbears over quite a few years now is the proliferation of fertilisers and potting mixes that are just full of filler. Instead of just providing the nutrient that you require, there’s a whole bunch of woodchip just to make up the bulk. And for what purpose?
While this product is not the ‘best’ example around, potting mixes are worse. They make claims that about all things, but in most cases a potting mix is majority of woodchip or other that refuses to retain moisture and after a single day, has to be watered again. Ok, I’m giving my take on the technical issue, and then the conspiracy theory angle! Technically sand clay and natural organic matter are expensive to provide on a bulk basis, so they use cheap woodchip of sorts to replace these materials, and adding nutrients is then the final ingredient. My conspiracy theory is then if they provided you with what you really needed on a less frequent basis, then their income and profit is not what they want!! I’ve used everything from the cheap to the expensive and they are all the same. Water passes straight through, or in the worse cases the potting mix is hydrophobic and there’s no chance any water will be retained. This in itself might be main theory in providing these horrifically useless potting mixes.
Anyway, I don’t use potting mixes anymore so I’m not looking for any recommendations.

3 Likes

The bag of Dynanic Lifter is terrible and you would have grounds to return it for a refund. Its description on the bag is different to its contents.

Commercially made potting mixes and composts are made from materials from the resource recovery industry. In simple terms, it is using byproducts of one industry transforming them into useable products.

This can mean the quality of ingredients used vary over time and between product batches. Notwithstanding this, if the product has claims on the packaging, they are required to meet those claims. Hence why the Dynamic Lifter photo has an problem as it doesn’t meet the packaging claims.

There are Australian Standards for potting mixes and composts. Products produced to meet these standards, have a minimum quality they need to meet. Such can give some confidence the product should be okay. I say should, as even those with the Australian Standard ticks can be variable between batches.

Alternatives to commercial potting mixes is to make your own. This however requires space, being able to source your own ingredients, time and effort.

4 Likes

Maybe buy from a local and knowledgeable nursery rather than a mega chain of stores.

2 Likes

Like many products potting mix comes in various qualities and styles. I wouldn’t say that means all potting mix is useless, though no doubt some is inferior depending on your purpose. A mix that suits orchids for example will be no use to grow heavy feeders like annual flowers.

3 Likes

Potting mixtures vary wildly, we are renters and therefore grow a lot of plants in pots. I buy potting mix from different sources and have found that as a general rule you get what you pay for, I never buy mix that isn’t marked as premium and has the red ticks. Even so I boost with added complete fertiliser and I usually add things like vermiculite and perlite depending on what plant will be growing in the medium. I did on one occasion buy very expensive organic bulk potting mix and was disappointed by the quality. So I think you just need to buy premium and find a brand that you like.

3 Likes