Portable free-standing Clothesline - Hills/Peggs/other

Apartment Living

I’m looking at purchasing a freestanding portable clothesline - one that can go on my (apartment) balcony in the sun or inside if it’s raining. I’ve been looking at the options and it seems that the HILLS or PEGGS versions are the most popular. Price range $200 - $400 seems a lot to spend if they aren’t worth it.

I thought that CHOICE may have done a product review (but not) so thought I would ask here!

I’m wondering about:

• stability, do they fall over? I imagine if weighted evenly should be ok.
  • functionality on windy days
  • quality and durability
  • ease of use - folding up and storage
  • value for money - perhaps it’s better to get a couple of smaller less expensive ones.
  • drying sheets - do they fit?
  • what size did you get?

If living in an apartment, other than using a dryer, how do you dry your washing? I’ve got a couple of small Ikea drying racks that can hold two towels, but for larger or long items they aren’t big enough.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments/experience to share.

Thanks in advance.

We’ve had one similar to this for several years:

and it’s been good. However, we only use it occasionally, in wet weather (we have an in-ground rotary clothesline for dry weather).

It’s easy to fold / unfold and is reasonably sturdy and stable. You do have to load it evenly or it’ll tip over, but I think that’d apply to most of these.

You would need to tie your clothesline to something solid during windy weather. None of them are heavy enough not to blow over / away, especially with clothes acting like sails.

4 Likes

In my experience plastic frames are not very durable. They are cheap but if you expect to use it often and want it to last you are likely to be disappointed. There could be one that is a terrific strong polymer that I haven’t seen.

If you get metal it may or may not take damage if left out in the rain depending on design. Many cheaper metal ones are mild steel that is painted or coated with plastic. Once the coating cracks or flakes they rust. For those with tubular metal frame, that have rubber feet, once the rubber wears through or gets loose the water will get in the end and the tube will rust. Dragging such across the concrete balcony is a bad idea. Better coatings will probably be dearer.

I have a very old white plastic job that has some broken bits that I ignore as I don’t use it often and the faults are not that important.

4 Likes

A cheaper option may be a camping clothes line. They are light and so the legs would need weights on them to hold it down. Strong winds would likely topple it still. At their most expensive they are around $100 though most are around $60. Most are aluminium tubing and have plastic joins. No rust to contend with, but the plastic after lots of exposure can get brittle, being on a balcony this may reduce the sun damage to the plastic though. They all roughly have 15 - 20 metres line space. For delicates if you have enough space inside your apartment they are as good as any clothes airer.

Examples of a couple of them

4 Likes

Hi @SmartShopper25 , welcome to the community.

Do you have walls on either side of the balcony?

The reason for asking is a retractable line may be a good option. It can be extended when you need it, won’t blow away or over in wind, packs away neatly and will carry more and larger washing than free standing ones (including sheets with having to fold to fit). They are also cheaper.

With portable or retractable clothes lines, it is wise to check with the building’s body corporate to ensure that clothes lines can be installed/placed on the balcony.

5 Likes

Love the retractable clotheslines!

Yes, there are walls but between the plumbing and various by-laws it’s not possible to find a space to attach it that wouldn’t be seen from the street. By-laws say washing can’t be seen from the street, but the free standing clotheslines I’ve been looking at are only about 1300h so shouldn’t be visible.

5 Likes

We use an IKEA product. All metal rails, no nylon cord, protected by a decent plastic coating. Ours lives on the east facing verandah. Undercover, but morning to near noon sun. Still good after 4+ years of near daily use between 3 of us.
I can get most of a full wash on it and can peg towels along the sides. Sheets and some longer garments the only challenge. You can set the wings to reach up rather than level for extra height if required. Stability is really good.

If one is not enough, they are very cheap.

4 Likes

I have one almost identical to the one in the original post. I have found it pretty stable, but I tend not to use it in high winds. Those little holes in the braces between the legs are excellent for hanging things on hangers. I find that the length of the line is not quite enough to spread a sheet on, but with a decent breeze, it doesnt really matter. I have a freestanding house so I don’t have whatever limitations you might have in your flat, with regard to indoor use… mine goes in the garage on days I really need to hang stuff. Relatively light to carry, I just get my shoulder under the middle bar and cart it that way. Easily stored, the legs fold up and it can be stood on end when folded.

I also have one of the lightweight ones, but would never use it outside because too light, it would not cope with the westerlies I get here.

4 Likes

I have a cheap drier that came from one of those cheap household goods shops that I have had for well over a decade (it cost about $20 at the time!). The frame is metal with plastic-covered wire racks. It has wings that you can fold out either end. I dry all my washing on it including in winter (I don’t have an electric drier) on the balcony which faces west. On wet days of course I use it inside. It is not big enough for sheets - you would need to fold the sheets, but we do have a communal washing line in the common area behind the block which I use sometimes. It is stable enough except in high wind. However, I am just one person, it would not be big enough for daily family washes!

5 Likes