Platypus Lo - Stretch Copolymer Fishing line

After a couple of good seasons using Platypus Super 100 monofilament fishing line I decided to try a Copolymer line and spooled up my 6000 size reels with Platypus Lo - Stretch

The Lo - Stretch is cheaper to buy than the 100 so always looking for a bargain decided to give it a go .

Unfortunately the new lock down has curtailed my fishing but I went down to the local footy oval for some casting practice .

The first thing I noticed about the lo-stretch is it does not have the memory retention of the 100 . This a good thing in a heavier line . The Lo stretch has a diameter of .28 mm which is good for a 6kg class line . On breakage testing over five tests it never broke under 6 kg . Great result .

It cast extremely well and spooled back onto the KastKIng 6000’s with no sign of wind knots .

Not strength was good . I usually use the uni knot and had no trouble tying it .
Monofilament line is drawn out of one compound whereas Copolymer is usually 3 . I will still use the Super 100 for my light line fishing because of its smaller diameter 4Kg is .21mm .
Well when the lock downs over in Victoria I better find some water with fish in it . Stay well and safe everybody .

Another thing Platypus is Australian made and I phoned them in Queensland this week and was really impressed by the way they answered the questions I put to them concerning the market for fishing gear , product status etc . Great impression of them .

4 Likes

Can you get a choice of colours? Some of the fish I remember spooked on some line colours, murky water inhibited reactions but for some very clear waters I fished in the line colour did matter. That pink tone might be a broadly successful colour though.

2 Likes

As far as I know Graham it only comes in blue ,green and pink . I would have preferred the clear colour the Super 100 comes in . The only Copolymer line that I knew of that comes in clear is the Black Magic brand . I use it on my over head surf reels . Quite a good line too .

2 Likes

Pink might be useful on whiting as they often like a red tube just above the hook, but the other two colours could come in useful in different water environments, I could see a blue being useful in large open waters eg over reefs, green may be more useful in creeks and rivers. Lighting such as Overcast days may even influence colour choice in some situations. Great that they do provide some selection.

2 Likes